Sign in to follow this  

KTM 450 EXC info needed.

Hi all.

I'm new to this 4-stroke game, I've been an oil burner all my life (KDX200 & 2x KX250's) but trail riding up against a squadron of 4-bangers (3xYZ450f's, a RM-Z450, and a CRF450) my KX250 is getting a displacement complex, not to mention I'm ringing it's neck.

My friends and I all ride geared MX's on the trails as they are slick, quick and nimble. I've got the opportunity to throw a leg over an '04 KTM 450 EXC which would be great to get the wide ratio box and trail set up but I have never ridden one before and same goes for my mates and I don't want to hop on a trail tracktor.

Could someone please shed some light on what I should expect with regard to the power curve, gear ratios, and reliability of the 450 EXC. . . . and any other little tricks I should know about it.

Thanks Crew.

it has 450cc and itiis a four stroke

it sure is!!! is there anything valuable in this guys posts??? i see the entire page has been responded to by him, but it is a two or three word answer... i agree with the others... check out the KTM forum

I would also check out ktmtalk.com

You might also want to look into the MXC models because from what I understand they are basically the MX bike, witha bigger tank, an extra transmission gear and a headlight.

You might also want to look into the MXC models because from what I understand they are basically the MX bike, witha bigger tank, an extra transmission gear and a headlight.

Actually I believe the crankweight and the flywheel are lighter on the SX models.

If you want to run the MX four strokes over get the 525.

Like the others said, ask the KTM experts in the KTM forum, and go to KTMtalk.com.

For the KTM fours strokes up through '05:

EXC: Enduro type bike. Electric start. Wide ratio 6 speed tranny. Lights. 2.9 gl tank (or so).

MXC: GP/cross country type bike. Electric start. Same bike as the EXC, except, tranny is a close ratio 6 sp (higher first, and lower 6th). Much larger gas tank. No lights (but has the lighting coil and the same wiring harness, so lights are plug and play).

SX: MX bike. No electric start. Close ratio 4 sp. tranny. Smaller tank. No lights (not sure about the lighting coil, but I don't think it has one). 19" rear wheel. May have a steeper steering head angle, not sure though. Not sure about the engine internals, but a lighter flywheel and some other MX type mods would make sense.

I think you will find that the 4 strokes feel like porkers compared to the 2 st's. Lots of folks prefer the power characteristics of the 4 sts, traction can be easier to find. They seem to track better over the chop too. Engine braking can be nice. Not having to mix fuel is a bonus. Top end failures can be expensive, but the KTM's have been very reliable.

For the 2 st's, they are much easier to change direction on, have more of a hit, are way lighter and I think, more fun to ride. Top ends are cheap and easy to do.

For the 450 EXC, should mention that it is an excellent bike. Very versatile and reliable. I've ridden them a number of times and while I think its an excellent bike, right now I am preferring the 2 st's. I ride a 250 EXC and a bunch of my buds ride the 200 EXC and 300 EXC's.

The 4 st feels too like to much of a porker for me. The 2 st's are more fun, easier to throw around, and much easier to deal with when the trails get nasty.

Thanks for the info guys, I think I'll give the EXC a crack . . . I can always go back to my 2st's if it's to hush of a pig on the tight stuff.

I'll keep you up to speed with how the euro enduro holds up in the West Australian bush.

Think of a Holden Minaro with a Knobby...and Really Good Off-Road suspension!