Oil Screen removal problem. Help!!!

Gday people,

Whats the deal???? Is there a trick to removing the 2 oil screens on 03 450exc's. I have just recently purchased this bike and wanted to change the oil and filters, but the 13mm bolt for the long SS screen and the hex key bolt for the oil screen underneath will not budge.

After applying allot of force (anticlockwise) the stupid bloody things wont come loose. It seems like the previous owner has used super strong locktight to keep them snug. Has anyone had this problem and are there any tricks to loosen these bastards without stripping or shearing the bolt heads heads??

At the end of the day, I replaced the 2 long and short paper filters and obviously the oil, but left the 2 screens until I gathered a little advise.

Advise would be much appreciated!!

Thanks.

The shorter screen on the bottom of the engine has often been a problem but the longer screen on the side has ordinarily not been a problem getting out. An impact driver with the proper size allen hex socket should work to remove the bottom screen. An impact driver preferably with a hex 13mm socket should work for the side screen. The screens should be reinstalled snugly but not too tight. Incidentally, Brap (and others) make an easier to remove replacement bolt for the lower screen.

ah i had the same problem! its due to and incompatibility between the two metals and they sieze together big time!!! I spent over anh hour with a hammer and a 12 and 13 mm socket. When the 13 mm got burred over i had to knock a 12mm on. shouldnt have happend but it came out with a tight fit 12mm or 1/2 inch socket and a piece of pipe on the end of the ratchet and a hammer...good luck.Dont bang too hard or the casing will crack

If it's not too late, you really need to use a 6 point socket on the side cap, 12pts just won't get the job done without rounding the cap. And as said earlier, try it with the engine hot. Since you've got new oil and filters in already, go ride, and when you get back to the truck, before it cools down try to loosen both.

Just don't leave them loose unless you intend to do an oil change. We don't want to hear that the bottom screen fell out and you lost all your oil in another thread!!

I have an '05 and not sure if it is any different. The bolt in the bottom comes in on an angle? When you do take them out to clean, be extremely careful when putting them back in. On my first oil change, I managed to cross-thread the case on the bottom bolt and had to have it re-tapped. I am inclined to not clean them as often as well.