Sign in to follow this  

250 SXF hard to kick?

I was at the Washougle National last weekend talking to the mechanic for Ryan Mills. I noticed the kickstarter on his bike was alot longer than the one on my bike. He told me it was straight off a Yamaha YZ250F. Since I can stand on my kickstarter when it is at TDC on the compression stroke, I plan to look into this more and thought I would pass it on.

Oh BTW... he said they use a 38 pilot and 172 main but stressed that they use race gas and the motor is NOT stock. He wouldn't tell me more than that.

Didn't know a YZF kickstarter would fit on an SXF. I wonder what else would fit...?

The mechanic said he also uses the footpegs off the Yamaha because they are taller. Mills is a kinda short guy.

The compression on this motor is 13.5/1! Nothing, even a factory bike runs much higher compression than that and most bikes that do have either an automatic or manual decompression release. My prediction.... KTM will have one of these (maybe both) in the next year or two.

Yes this beast is very hard to start. Better have a good plug and pilot adjusted just right. If you stall the bike, good luck. By the way, the reason the kick starter is shorter is to give you a faster stroke. The longer the kick arm the shorter and slower a given angular displacement and velocity. Yes, my YZ250 F does work on the KTM but the KTM kicker does not fit the YZ. Go figure.....

The mechanic said he also uses the footpegs off the Yamaha because they are taller. Mills is a kinda short guy.

The compression on this motor is 13.5/1! Nothing, even a factory bike runs much higher compression than that and most bikes that do have either an automatic or manual decompression release. My prediction.... KTM will have one of these (maybe both) in the next year or two.

The KTM's do have an auto compression release.

When my SXF was brand new (less then 10 hours on the bike) it was hard to kick over at TDC. Once i got a little over 10 hours on the bike it never gets that hard to kick anymore. You have to kick the SXF slower then you think