Sign in to follow this  

trouble kick starting my DR250s.

I just bought a '90 DR250s and it takes alot of kicks to get started.

also, once I get it going, it seems like it's somewhat restricted... like i should be getting more response from it, or something. I'm not sure. This is my first bike, and as far as I know it doesn't have any modifications on it, the guy i bought it from let it sit for a few months. that's really all i know.

Is there any mods i can make to get a better response and easier start?

I'm about to put new grips on it, and i heard that wasn't as easy as it seems. Is there anything i can do to make that any easier on myself?

Plus, I bought some new fork boots.

Is there anything i should be warned of before I replace the fork boots?

thanks ALOT in advance for any help!

I also have a small oil leak, i can't really tell where it's coming from.

and white smoke comes out from time to time.

could all these problems be related, or do i have alot of work ahead of me?

Hey buddy, common problem with this years model. The first thing I would try is to replace the old diapham in the top of the carb, very easy job, just be careful with the 2 tiny tiny parts under the spring, slide the slide out slowly and straight up if possible. I did it without removing the carb. I was having issues with the same starting prob. Know the bike starts like a dream. I use the decomp lever. First I pull and hold it in for about 4 kicks then push the kicker down until it pops up. Then I move the kicker just a tad to try to get the most out of the kick. I've thought of doing some mods but the only thing I've done so far is went down one tooth on the front sprocket which made a world of difference, it seems geared correctly now, not lugging the motor as before. The diapham is about a $4 dollar part at any local Suzuki dealership. The white smoke bother's me alittle. Good luck, any other questions about this bike I can try to help. They are good bikes.

Irwin