Fan Running on Shutdown

Probably a stupid question but last night when I went to shut the bike off the fan was still running. I let it idle for about 30 seconds and it was still going. I just turned it off at that point since I didn't want to run the fan off the battery. What does everyone usually do? Didn't I let it idle long enough? Sorry if these are noob questions but this is my first water cooled bike. Thanks for any input :D

Hi

The fan cools the water in the radiators when air isn't flowing over them as you're going along. So, while your bike was idling, your engine was getting hotter and hotter and the fan kicked in. The fan will stay on until you switch off the ignition or ride away and get enough air flowing to bring the temperature down.

You haven't done any harm but don't leave the bike just standing there idling. It's the same as an air cooled bike - no movement makes the engine get hotter.

Cheers

Ian

The important question seems to be how much does the fan drain the battery?

Whenever my fan would run, I was usually in the middle of the woods and would therefore would be more concerned with the battery charge for starting so i would rarely let the fan run as long as it wanted to..

ive got a z400 which is the same motor out of the drz, i know what your talking about with the fan coming on when you want to shut it off and dont want to waste battery on the fan. Just turn the bike off and dont let the fan run. Ive already gone through 1 fan motor and if its the same fan as on the quad, check it often and make sure it spins freely.. those fan motors r 250$ which isnt cheap at all. also the more you let it idle the hotter its gonna get so the fan isnt going to turn off.

the best thing to do is just turn the bike off and dont worry about it over heating because once the bike is shut off its not making more heat so it wont overheat.