Yet another - Which bike to buy??? - For a heavy guy

Ok, I know you all are tired of this but I've been doing some reading and searching and I keep getting different answers to what I'm looking for.... so here is the question:

What used bike should I look for?

Who I am:

-I usually weigh between 230lbs and 240lbs

-I haven't motorcrossed since I was a kid (17+ years ago :D)

-I have lots of recent crotch-rocket experience but no recent dirt experince (it's like riding a bike, right :D )

What I want to do:

-Ride trails most of the time

-play around on a MX course (not during an organized race)

-Jump while playing around (nothing crazy, just clear a double or table top every once-in-a-while)

-I'm pretty good with mechinical stuff, but I don't want to break down 3-miles from the truck every time out.

Price range:

-Lookin for mid-to-late 90's bikes because if I want to spend anymore then I'll have to give up some of my other toys.... and I don't want to do that.

.....As for color.... I don't care too much, but I have Honda and Yamaha dealers close, so that might be a little more convienent for parts/stuff

What do you think? I was thinkin maybe a late 90's XR400.???

Yeah a 250 2 stroke will be fine for trails. i dont like 4 strokes for trails, they tend to overheat and the true trail 4 strokes wont allow you to jump very much. IMO i would say a mide 90's yz 250. Lots to bottom and midrange engine make it perfect for trails :D

2 smoke!! :D Dont listen to these guys.

Buck up to three grand and you can get a used drz400E as in 'E'start and it will do just what you want. Great on trails, dez and good for the vet style mx tracks. Heck I used to do back flips, coffins, supermans, nac-nac's. nik-nac's, tik-taks.. all dat sheet. :D

2 smoke!! :D Dont listen to these guys.

Buck up to three grand and you can get a used drz400E as in 'E'start and it will do just what you want. Great on trails, dez and good for the vet style mx tracks. Heck I used to do back flips, coffins, supermans, nac-nac's. nik-nac's, tik-taks.. all dat sheet. :eek:

And anyone who rides a drz is considered gay, so you might wan't to consider that when buying a drz. :D

Get a 2 stroke. :D

I weigh about #220 and I'm totally happy with the XR600 I recently bought for cheap. Its just fine on the trails, even better in the wide-open desert :D As far as jumping, its not for the faint of heart since there just isn't any man-handling the beast. Although I've been known to get airborne occassionaly (usually when I plow over the top of a berm :D )

Bottom line: Dead-reliability and plenty of power. Go for an XR650 or the older 600

just my .02

Tim

-Ride trails most of the time

-play around on a MX course (not during an organized race)

-Jump while playing around (nothing crazy, just clear a double or table top every once-in-a-while)

At first glance I was going to reccomend a Yamaha WR400F, but after seeing what you want to do on the motocross track, I'll stray away from the more trail-friendly, less track-friendly WRF and suggest a 98-99 YZ400F. The stock suspension is valved for a rider a little lighter than you, and for motocross use. That can be modified though and for about $340 you can have your suspension (forks and shock) set up for your weight and riding style (MX & Trails)....which will make your bike have a much nicer ride, and allow you to go faster.

Plain and simple, a purpose built trail bike will not meet any of the requirements that a motocross track demands. The stock suspension will be way to soft, and will bottom out over the smallest jump. This is the main reason why I will suggest getting a motocross bike setup for both disciplines. Other mods I'd suggest besides suspension are a quieted pipe (PC Type 496 or FMF Q), and a heavier flywheel (makes tight trail riding easier on a motocross bike). With that you should be set. :D

no no u got it all wrong...go with a 1991 husqvarnas....i heard those are good for doing big 1 footers and look backs

i hope you werent dissing the lookback!!! Thats my "ace up the sleave" trick. I bust that out when i wanna get the ladies attention...or when i wanna look back...its a classic...lol :D

At first glance I was going to reccomend a Yamaha WR400F, but after seeing what you want to do on the motocross track, I'll stray away from the more trail-friendly, less track-friendly WRF and suggest a 98-99 YZ400F. The stock suspension is valved for a rider a little lighter than you, and for motocross use. That can be modified though and for about $340 you can have your suspension (forks and shock) set up for your weight and riding style (MX & Trails)....which will make your bike have a much nicer ride, and allow you to go faster.

Plain and simple, a purpose built trail bike will not meet any of the requirements that a motocross track demands. The stock suspension will be way to soft, and will bottom out over the smallest jump. This is the main reason why I will suggest getting a motocross bike setup for both disciplines. Other mods I'd suggest besides suspension are a quieted pipe (PC Type 496 or FMF Q), and a heavier flywheel (makes tight trail riding easier on a motocross bike). With that you should be set. :D

That's what I've got, '98 YZ400, and bought it for pretty much the same reasons - I'm 6'3", weigh 250, hadn't ridden a dirtbike for 10 years but I'm big into sportbikes. Ride on trails but want to be able to catch some air. It was down to either a 250 2-stroker or the YZ400 for me when it came time to buy. I went with the YZ 'cause I wanted the 4-stroke torque over the peaky 2-smoke snap. The 400 is an awesome bike, tons of power...I'm still getting used to though, I gotta admit, condsidering the last bike I rode was a 1980 RM 125. Anyways, slapped a few trail-oriented mods on mine and it seems to get the job done pretty damn well.