making my own spark arrestor

i need a SA for my pipe, but since its a custom bike, somebody in the chat suggested i make my own, i was thinking using wire mesh , in a funnel shape with a metal rim, and then drop the thing into my pipe funnel tip first and weld it there, this is a pic of my pipe

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v417/dyen2live1137/DSCN0297.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v417/dyen2live1137/sparkarrestordesign.gif

thats my idea to use^^

you think it will be enough if i use high quality mesh to make it and weld it on the end?

I think its a great idea to have one for general purposes, but it won't pass muster if a Ranger stops you in an area you're supposed to have one, I don't think... my pipe (Dr. D) has some kind of official looking 'seal' riveted to it, I'm pretty sure they look for that seal.

But, I could be wrong. :D

If you get checked and it isnt a USFS approved spark arrestor, have some cash or a check handy. I havn't heard of any wildfires sparked by bikes, but I have seen the fines they are giving people for starting the fires. Millions of bucks. Spend the 200 bucks, and do it right.

what i was thinkign about was buying an FMF end cap and screwing it to my bike

the exhaust is custom, the bike wouldnt pass sound levels either, it puts out about 150 db with full packing

sets of car alarms at idle

150 db ? You should be in jail dude! :D An endcap my make it a spark arrestor, but it still wont be up to specs according to the law. The sound alone will bring their attention to your muffler or lack, thereof and spot the non compliance unit.

Your ears wont pop at 150dB. It will give you a headache in about 3 minutes though. I used to have an S10 blazer that had 4 15's in it and I hit 155db all while sitting in the vehicle holding the microphone. You cant even see straight when its that loud but its kinda fun, your hair tingles like you have spiders in it.

As for the 50 putting out 150dB It might if they stuck it directly on hole of the head pipe and if he had like 13+:1 compression ratio bouncing it off the rev limiter but I doubt it. It physically cant move that amount of air. My 525sx with a WB straight through exhaust hit 108db at 12 inches (right when they told me I couldnt enter the state forest)