450 Sx

Guys i need a bit of advice. I am looking at getting a new bike. I was looking at the CRF and the RMZ, but it seems as though they are having some reliability issues. Of you guys that have the 450 SX how has it done on reliability, and maintenance? I ride mostly trails, and a little bit of other stuff. How does everyone like these bikes in the woods? How does the 4 speed do in the woods? Any help would be great.

Guys i need a bit of advice. I am looking at getting a new bike. I was looking at the CRF and the RMZ, but it seems as though they are having some reliability issues. Of you guys that have the 450 SX how has it done on reliability, and maintenance? I ride mostly trails, and a little bit of other stuff. How does everyone like these bikes in the woods? How does the 4 speed do in the woods? Any help would be great.
if i was u i would get the new 450xc, they are supposed to be the best trail bike out!1 :D

Where is information on these i was just at the KTM website, and cannot find them. Do you have any info. on them? Weight specs or anything.

i have race mine since march and the only thing i have done it

change the oil/filters...and change the clutch cover gasket from

paper to metal..i have never even rejetted it...very solid bike

I pretty much just trail ride mine and ride in the dunes. The only thing that I haved replaced is the clutch. The valves have been in specs everytime I have had them adj. I would have to say it is rock solid. I was at a race last weekend and Jeff Alessi was there, I talked to his mech and one of the first things hes said, how is my clutch doing? I don't think it's an issue but some one who races might disagree.What kind of riding are you going to be doing.The good thing about ktm is you can make the sx a 6spd for about 5-600 dollars.

Is that the gearbox out of the exc? I do mostly woods and trail riding.

Where is information on these i was just at the KTM website, and cannot find them. Do you have any info. on them? Weight specs or anything.
here is some info on them http://www.ama-cycle.org/news/2005/KTMxc/XC.asp

No that is the cost of just adding 5-6 out of mxc. A full exc tranny is about 1200 including labor.

As far as maintainance I've just done the same things you would do with any other bike, change oil, filters, clean airfilter, clean and lub chain, and adjust the valves. I probably change the oil too often but it's not that hard and it gives me piece of mind.

I have an 03 and the valves needed to be adjusted often 9about every 10 hours) before I switched to the KW SS valves. The 03's had some valve problems that KTM seems to have sorted out with the 04 and later bikes.

If you do mostly trail riding you will want the 5th and 6th, I had the MXC (close ratio, ~$550) added to my bike. It's not that the bike isn't fast with the 4 speed, I just didn't like having to keep revs up for extended times. The new xc is a sweet bike (short stroke sx motor with 5th, 6th, 18 inch rear wheel, and electric start) but it's spendy.

I'd take a look at the 450XC. It is a bit more spendy than an SX or a left over model. However, for the type of riding you listed it should be perfect.

I'm currently waiting on mine to arrive and it's killing me! I race GP's and trail ride and feel it's going to be the best choice out there this year for my needs.