crf150 or crf230

Crf150 or crf230 . I am 5'4 140 13 year old kid. I will mainly be trail riding. I am a beginner to dirtbike riding. I would like to do some jumps. And what are the top speeds. Can you help. thanks

Since your only 13, you might grow out of a 150 in a year or so.I would take the 230 becuase it will have enough power for a smaller guy like you for years.If you ever felt underpowered on this bike there's lots of aftermarket performance parts.I do jumps with my 230 and my suspension has held up fine.The only thing is you might be a little short for the 230.The 230's top speed will be from 65 to 70 mph.The 150's top speed will be from 60 to 65 mph.The 150 is still a good beginners bike.

Since your only 13, you might grow out of a 150 in a year or so.I would take the 230 becuase it will have enough power for a smaller guy like you for years.If you ever felt underpowered on this bike there's lots of aftermarket performance parts.I do jumps with my 230 and my suspension has held up fine.The only thing is you might be a little short for the 230.

I agree.

The 230's top speed will be from 65 to 70 mph.The 150's top speed will be from 60 to 65 mph.The 150 is still a good beginners bike.

I disagree. The 230 maxes out at 62 MPH and the 150 at 55 MPH.

your probrally right about the 150 top speed, but my brother got my 230 up to 72.5 mph.That was with a slight wind, without the wind it should do 65.

your probrally right about the 150 top speed, but my brother got my 230 up to 72.5 mph.That was with a slight wind, without the wind it should do 65.

How did you clock it? Car? Bike speedo? Motorcycle speedo? I highley doubt it dude, not to sound mean or anything but it just doesn't have it. I clocked mine wide open with a TrailTech that I know is dead on because I have rode beside 3 cars and the speed is all the same.

He used his GPS, but who knows how accurate those are.

He used his GPS, but who knows how accurate those are.

gps's are very accurate but i dont know about on a dirtbike

Still doubt it did 72 MPH.

you sound liek the right size for a 85... 150's are slow a doggish IMO. idk about the 230's.

Still doubt it did 72 MPH.

i agree dont worry :D

you sound liek the right size for a 85... 150's are slow a doggish IMO. idk about the 230's.

If this is your first bike, a 150 would be much easier(fun) to learn on.

i agree dont worry :D

At least someone knows something on this fourm. :D

If this is your first bike, a 150 would be much easier(fun) to learn on.

The 150 would be really good to get used to the clutch and all but he might as well start off on a 230 because he will grow out of the 150 in a couple months. Bare with it and learn on the 230 because it will last longer than the 150.

go with the 150

yeah the 150 is easy to learn on. The 230 might be a little big but you'll grow into it. If you have the money now go with the 230 so you dont ahve to buy a new bike in like ayear

i find most newbs cant kick over a bike that well so go with the 230

well they should learn how to. It doesnt take that long to learn

My wife is 5'8" and the 150 fits her perfect. The 230 is to high for her. The 150 is easier to ride for her but I do need to start it for her. I'm 5'11" 200 pounds and the 150 pulls me around just fine of course the 230 pulls me around better. If I were you, I would get the 150. It costs a little less, it's better to learn on. And, by the time you out grow it you would be ready to get a new bike anyway.

well they should learn how to. It doesnt take that long to learn

you'd be suprised ive had freinds just say "can i sit on it?" 20 seconds later (15 kicks) its reved out the ying yang but no one even is allowed near the 250 2 stroke even though it aint preety it rips

Ive let people use my stuff in the past but not anymore... They have no idea what they are doing in most cases, break it and then you have to fix it with ur moeny

Well I had the same problem, except it was 85 expert or 230. With the knowledge I have gained from talking to members here and other people I know, the problem with the 85 is that it will be very hard to learn on and not so good for trails. The reason for the 85's diff. to learn on is that its a 2-stroke, and no 2-strokes arent bad but the 85 is almost harder to learn on then a 125. Why? Because the 85 is a small bore engine. When you have a small bore 2-stroke its like a light switch as far as power, its either on or off. So when your in the low rpms you will have very little power but as soon as you give it a good twist the power is very good and fast. So when you are trying to learn on a bike like that you will probably end up flipping it if you are not careful. My buddy who works at a dealer has 125 and its a big bore engine so the power range is wider and easier to find power in the low rpms. He told me he sold a 85 to a guy and was riding it around the parking lot to bring it to the guy and he let out the clutch and gave it some gas (never rode a 85 before) and he stood the bike straight up and almost flipped it. So I would not think about an 85 until you are experienced. You wont have fun trying to learn. Im not bashing the 85 its a great bike but not to learn on IMO. At your size I would not even consider a 150. If you have never ridden a dirtbike then you will have your 230 for at least 2 years and by then you might have grown 4 inches and it will still be comfortable for you to ride. Spend the little extra money on a 230 and you should be able to keep it longer without getting bored.