50 vs 52 tooth sprocket power difference

I like the power of my 230, but I want a little more low end. When I ride with my 230 pinned on the road it revs pretty high. I'm worried with a 52 tooth sprocket the engine might bounce off the rev limiter at top speed.On acceleration should the 52 tooth sprocket give nearly the same amount of acceleration the power up kit gave me? Also, how much speed will I lose? I don't mind if I lose 2 or 3 mph.

I put a 52 on back and a 12 on front. I get 65mph on the street, not that I ride on the street but I just wanted to see how fast it would be.

I put a 52 on back and a 12 on front. I get 65mph on the street, not that I ride on the street but I just wanted to see how fast it would be.

Catfish39, what mods do you have done to your bike if any?

Sprokets dont add power, engine mods do.

i would just drop a tooth in the front sprocket cheaper and prbly easiest way to get more low end

i dropped a tooth on the front.. its nice for wheelies and stuff but my 5th and 6th gera felt shorter... 1 tooth in the front = 3 teeth in the rear. So change the front to save money

Sprokets dont add power, engine mods do.

Sprockets change the curve of power, though.

The front sprocket will do the most dramatic change. 1 tooth on the front equals 3 on the rear. I run anywhere from a 45-52 rear and a 12-14 front. Depends what track. For supermoto i run a 14-45 for the top end and on some MX ill run a 12-52. Right now im running a 14-50. Which is about perfect for my bike. The 52 will give more low end but you wont have any high end. Ti donst affect the power, Just how fast it revs up. By a Non O-ring chain. That will help it too. No need for the 428 conversion, But thats a whole new topic.

Arent front sprockets cheaper than the rear because they are smaller? :D

Arent front sprockets cheaper than the rear because they are smaller? :D

it depends what material they are

yea front are considerable cheaper i got mine made of alloy and it was made by JT and i payed 12$ for it on ebay a rear could cost you up to 170$ depending on what you had it made out of

I get my sprockets from Rockymountainatv.com . I get the steel ones, The 150 is the same as the CRF250R and CRF450R rear sprocket. So i just buy one from them and its easier, I get the primary drive and its only like $20. So its pretty cheap. But aluminum can run u up to about $50 a sprocket. Tyhe front only coems in steel cause thats where msot the power is and if you got alumium it would strip the teeth off.

Yeah i love rockymountain

Yeah i love rockymountain

me too

bull shit

any proof

I like the power of my 230, but I want a little more low end. When I ride with my 230 pinned on the road it revs pretty high. I'm worried with a 52 tooth sprocket the engine might bounce off the rev limiter at top speed.On acceleration should the 52 tooth sprocket give nearly the same amount of acceleration the power up kit gave me?

It'll lower you gearing exactly 2/50 or 4%. You speed in each gear will be reduced 4%. It'll be most noticable in 1st but sometimes a change like this makes 3rd or 4th a lot more useable. It depends where & how you ride.

Also, how much speed will I lose? I don't mind if I lose 2 or 3 mph.

Your top speed if on the rev limiter will only be reduced approx. 3 mph.

:D

bull shit

I have the power-up kit and the baffle out with a uni filter and the sprockets. Maybe my GPS doesn't work when I ride my bike but it works fine when I'm in my truck, I don't know but my GPS said 65mph and the only proof is the guys that I ride with. Believe me or not, I'm just answering a question.

doesn't sound belivable but those GPS's are pretty accurate so you cant really argue

For those just having fun, it does not matter, but if you are serious about your engine making maximun power, then you need to run as large as possible front sprocket and tune your final gearing on the rear. It is simple Physics 101. The smaller the wheel, the harder it is to turn, meaning the front sprocket. Think of it as a steering wheel w/out power steering. The larger the diameter, the easier it is to turn. Also, when running smaller, even tiny front sprockets, it is hard on your chain making the tighter bends around it. Your engine and chain will thank you:-) Clint