Dealer Junk Fees

Just bought the little man his first bike today (went with the new Yamaha TTR-50 -- thanks to whoever recommended that I look at it).

Anyway, I've always had good luck finding slightly used bikes for myself. So, I had no experience with the dealer "junk" fees. Holy crap. The little 50 was $ 1150.00 list. I asked the guy to work up an out-the-door price. He comes back with $ 1650.00. What??!! Oh yes, the $ 90 freight fee, the $ 150 doc fee, and the $ 90 assembly fee........plus tax. What a joke. I ended up around $ 1250 after some work. Still probably got screwed. Seemed okay though.

Just in case I do decide to buy a new bike (I'm about due to trade out again), anyone have any rules-of-thumb for what you can get off. Like all the junk fees plus 10% off the list, or just all the junk fees? Basically, I ended up at list plus sales tax with no junk fees. Just wondering for the future. One would think there is more room to move with the higher price (adult) bikes.

those are just ways for the dealer to make more money. Shop around and you can find one that doesnt do those fees. My local dealer is the worst about that. They charge full pop for their bikes and all the fees. some how or another they get it. Ive tried to buy several bikes from them only to go down the road and get it for a grand or two cheaper.

Find a dealer or shop and be loyal to them... then they'll deffinatly treat you right then. Haggle w/ them to try to get atleat MSRP... you should pay less... if they don't go to your price, walk out... leave them your phone number, just say your going to "X COMPETION DEALERSHIP"... you'll get a call, or there stupid..... just don't settle... you'll catch a deal.

I've botten 3 bikes from Hahm Motorsports. They always give me a good deal when I tell them i'm going to Berts mega mall.

hmm.. ive never had any problems my ttr was 2600 msrp and i got it 2400.. no fees.. my 04 yz125 was 5100.. and i got it for 4000... so i guess my dealership is very good

I got my KTM 300 EXC for an out-the-door price equal to MSRP. That included a 7.25% sales tax. It was funny, on the bill, he knocked the bike price down $700, but still put in the freight and prep fees rather than keeping the bike price higher and dropping the add-on fees. I didn't care how he wrote it up, I paid what I was willing to pay. From what I've seen on other websites, I didn't get a great price, but I feel I paid a fair price. At the most, I could have saved $200-300 if I was willing to drive all over the tri-state area and really work a couple of dealers against each other, but I felt it wasn't worth the hassle. The peace of mind of buying the bike from a dealer 10 minutes from my house who feels like he got a fair deal and will be there when I need to lean on him was worth it to me. I should add the local Big 4 shops were willing to go way below sticker to move the 250MX bikes (I got a quote on a KX250 of $5100 OTD) but I really wanted the KTM which is another reason I didn't haggle as much.

I just purchased a TTR50 for my 3 year old. I have an excellent relationship with my local dealer and get a deal on parts and bikes. Usually!

This was the first shipment and only two units came to this dealership. The owner bought one for his son and I got the other. The next batch comes out this way in March, I was fortunate to score, in my eyes. I did have to pay the retail price and didn't argue the point as it probably would have quickly been sold to someone else. At least they didn't try to make me pay above retail, which considering the hot market for this particular bike could be easily done.

The kids were all over it at the track this past weekend checking it out. I even rode it in the halftime 50cc mini race.

They are pretty trick. Now all the kids are wanting one ,Even the ones with the tricked out CRF clones. . My bottom line was $1174.00, we have a borough sales tax in my area with a max cap of $25.00.

I paid cash for everything and have never pad anything except MSRP plus title fees and tags. I just tell them, I don't want to pay over MSRP. They either will say no and make zilch or yes and make some $$$. Of course, I find what MSRP is before going in. So far, the only dealer I've seen who wouldn't budge on it was Honda. I bought one Honda, XR50 and if it wasn't such a well built bike, I'd gotten the TTR50. All others, it wasn't even a hassle, just asked and they said "no problem" and that was the end of the dickering. As a Toyota tech, I can tell you on cars/trucks, all this is included in the MSRP after options (final sticker price as equipped) and the factory reimburses the dealer for the pre delivery set up/inspection. MSRP is "manufactures suggested retail price. When I go the to the grocery store I pay the listed price. No one haggles over freight. Imagine going to the check out and having your total, then they add shipping based on the weight plus set up fees (for the stock boy) etc. :D

I think you can go to another state and get a bike without any of the fees.

I just purchased a TTR50 for my 3 year old. I have an excellent relationship with my local dealer and get a deal on parts and bikes. Usually!

This was the first shipment and only two units came to this dealership. The owner bought one for his son and I got the other. The next batch comes out this way in March, I was fortunate to score, in my eyes. I did have to pay the retail price and didn't argue the point as it probably would have quickly been sold to someone else. At least they didn't try to make me pay above retail, which considering the hot market for this particular bike could be easily done.

The kids were all over it at the track this past weekend checking it out. I even rode it in the halftime 50cc mini race.

They are pretty trick. Now all the kids are wanting one ,Even the ones with the tricked out CRF clones. . My bottom line was $1174.00, we have a borough sales tax in my area with a max cap of $25.00.

Glad to hear all of this. Makes my $ 1250 seem at least in the ballpark of fair. A lot better than the $ 1650 that we started at. I was a little worried that the bike might actually get sold. I did have trouble finding it 'cause it was new. I really didn't have too many options on other dealerships.

$100 over what they were asking, then the fees tacked on? I think you did fine, you eliminated $400. What kills me is that dealers do the freight fee when the bike was dropped off there most of the time by the seller for a trade in.

Last Spring I went ot buy a CRF50. 2 local Honda dealers were at close to 1700.00. NO WAY. I never paid over MFSP on all the bikes I purchased. Some try to stick you and some are easy. I endend up with a used XR50 but my son doesnt like it. We are getting a TTR50.