Sign in to follow this  

stupid 4 stroke newbe question

ok, I have a stupid question. When refilling the oil on a 03' wr250f, do I only have to fill the crank case with the whole amount, or do I have to try to fill the tank that is in the frame two?

you can put the whole amount in a 2004 yzf250 and then fire it up and check the oil level on the dipstick after a minute or two, i have a question as well, where can i see a drawing of the crank case and the oil pick up line, i don't know if its called that but i suppose the oil level in the case can't go down anyfuther past a certain point, then the hose or whatever will be out of the oil, therefore no oil could go to the resevoir without oil coming out of the reservior. is this true, sorry if i confused you.

i have a question as well, where can i see a drawing of the crank case and the oil pick up line, i don't know if its called that but i suppose the oil level in the case can't go down anyfuther past a certain point, then the hose or whatever will be out of the oil, therefore no oil could go to the resevoir without oil coming out of the reservior. is this true, sorry if i confused you.
There are two oil pumps in a dry sump system. (I said that before, didn't I?) The feed pump draws oil from the tank and sends to the important lube points in the engine and trans, after which it drains back to the sump in the crankcase. There, as soon as it shows up, it gets sucked up into the pickup screen by the return pump, which is half again as large as the feed pump, and faces no restrictions in the oil path back to the tank. As a result, once any oil that drained down to the crankcase while the bike was parked has been returned, it is more or less always ahead of the feed pump, and normally "runs out" of oil to pump on a continuous basis. And yes, it can only remove oil from the crankcases down to a certain level, but that isn't very much oil at all, hence the name, "dry sump".