XR400 vs CRF450 X

Trying to decide if I should sell the 03 400 and replace it with a CRF 450 X. The electric start is very tempting but parting with the extra cash isn't.

Anybody have any comparisions between the two or mods that might make it worth keeping the 400 or compelling reasons to sell it and move on.

CRF450x is 5 pounds lighter give or take a pound

Has better suspension stock

The same HP as a xr440

E-start

Rebuild it more often meaning more work and more money

Has $7000 price tag

If it was up to me, I would go and look at a ktm300exc. Lighter, more power, better looks, easier to work on, cheaper to work on, and easy to kick. Only prob. is that it may not be greensticker. Im not sure what the laws are on new smokers.

If not that, I would put some money in the xr and if you dont like it then part out the stuff you added and sell the bike. Youre going to spend money either way you go.

I thought the CRF450 was double the horsepower over the XR??

Well a stock xr400 puts out between 32-34 hp.

A stock crf450x puts out about 43hp

A xr440 puts out 44hp from what dirt rider says

Now the crf450r puts out just shy of 50hp I think.

KTM 300exc puts out like 55hp right?

I still can not understand why people have trouble kicking the xr400 over and want a e-start bike? It has got to be one of the easiest starting bikes out there I usually start mine with flip flops on and let the bike warm up while i put my riding gear on. Either your carb is tuned wrong or you don.t understand 4 stroke starting technique

The XR400 is definatly not hard to kick over, but that doesn't mean the E-Start isn't really great to have. Is it worth the extra money? I doubt it. If you're looking for something new, the CRFs suspension is definatly going to be a great upgrade simply becuase the XR's is so old.

It really comes down to your long term budget and how/where you ride. I LOVE my xr440 becuase it has "enough" power (er, i guess you can never have enough..), the suspension is set up great for ME, and its amazingly simple. I put one fluid in it to keep it cool and one fluid in it to make it go boom and i'm set for a weekend of riding. While i'm not proud of abusing my bike, i beat the CRAP out of it every time i ride and i'm consistantly more impressed about how it just won't break. I don't know if you can say this about the CRF, becuase i havn't owned one. Given the CRF450r's short history, i'm sure the X can't be too too much different.

I personally would re-asses what kind of riding you down and consider either working on your XR to suite your riding better, or go after something really impressive like a CRF450r/KTM smoker/Yamaha. Not that i wanna put any bad thoughs in your head, but the WRs are bulletproof, fast, up to date bikes as well. If you see a buddy with one, definatly take it for a test ride.

If you are into survival rides in extremely rough terrain or if you occasionally trail ride in Baja or similar areas then its nice to know that your bike will run fine on any type of left over gasoline you can beg from a Mexican farmer. Also you don't have radiator, hoses, and water pump to be concerned about. With a 4.0 gal tank and good skid plate the XR400 will remain the primo bike for Baja play riding for quite awhile. I own both 650R and 400 and I would take the XR400 over the XR650 to Baja every time. The very large oil capacity on XR400 also adds to reliability on the long hauls. I think both are much better than CRF450s when going is very rough and very long.

Here's my philosophy on the CRF,it is a high rev motor,the XR is not. The piston is only going to go up and down in the cylinder X number of times before wearing the bore/needing maintenance.The shim/bucket valve adjustment is a joke compared to the Xr IMHO.The CRF is fast but how fast do you want to spend? I dont have any problem staying with them on my 440.

i think the xr is a great bike. power seems fine. i've got a 440 kit in with other mods and have no problem keeping up with my buddies on a ktm and wr. granted, we are trail riding and so the speeds are not great. but i can stay wright on there rear wheel or pull away from them if leading. a lot comes down to technique. now in a flat out drag race, i probably wouldn't win. but what fun is it going in a straight line on a dirt bike?

Thanks for all the good info, after what I read I am leaning to keep the bad boy, work the suspension and see how much a 440 kit would be. :D

You should talk to Rob Barnum about getting work done on your bike. A 440 (89mm is actually 435) isnt necccarily better than a 426. A 426 piston is lighter so it will rev quicker and might out accel a 440. Also you don't have to resleeve with a 426 so it keeps the cost down. You can get a 426 piston for $160, bore for about $60, gaskets $25, and a cam if you want bigger gains.

I wondered the same thing. Rode a couple CRF450R's. They ride totally different than the XR. They feel much lighter but at the end of the day, I think the XR is a more comfortable mount for a long days ride. Last year I decided to spend the money and put a joeracer e-start on my Xr400. I love it. And it was a far cry short of $7000 for a new bike.

Hi, I have both and a WR all in different countries. Th CRF is a very sweet bike but a technological nightmare, it really depends on the location and kind of riding you do. I have found th XR to be wonderful in tight snotty slippery trails, single track, and highway riding. very simple comfortable and reliable.

the CRF and WR are both great wheelie fun and fast but when I go out on my own in a forign country in the mountains I would choose the XR just for its simple easy style. It can haul ass too but the CRF n WR will beat it racing. I just sold a KTMEXC300, great dirt bike but after all day it tires you out whereas the thumpers are easier on you. For tight stuff I would go XR.

two things:

people who have trouble kick starting their XR400's are generally people who have modded it and don't quite have the mods set up just right. i watched a buddy kick the hell out of his XR and he was filled with trepidation about whether it would start or flood or what it would do. he has a big bore kit in it and hotcam etc. my XR400 kicks over on the first kick 90% of the time and the second the other 10%, even after sitting cold all week. i never have to worry about restarting it, even after dumping it over.

additionally, i've ridden both the CRF450R and the XR400 (obviously)... this fellow's CRF had the suspension worked by a pro, and i have to say it was amazing. fast, stable, nimble, tracked through sand like it was on rails. it had great throttle response and just felt like it was made to fly. i didn't even notice the close ratio transmission.

that being said, someone already mentioned the pistons being used.

http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandit.com/partsbandit/oem_schematic_view~mp_id~~mscssid~TDW4EKM9E80P9LTUX8RR7U4TWBEH0W3F~schem_dept_id~1305558~section_dept_id~1~section_dept_name~OEM+%28Stock%29+Parts~dept_type_id~2~model_dept_year~2005~model_dept_mfr~Honda~model_dept_id~1305543~model_dept_name~CRF450X.asp

click the link and check that sucker out. almost no shoulder. one of the shops i went to runs 4 CRFs on their team, they change pistons every 6 races. ACK! i guess what i'm saying is-- if you want all the goodies the CRF has to offer, go ahead and buy it without fear-- it IS the machine people say it is. but do it with the knowledge that there is a lot more technology put in place and thusly, more maintenance, more to break, more to keep up with. the CRF, the WR, the RM-Zs, these are NOT the thumpers we're used to, they're F1 cars... the cutting edge of tech. i just rebuilt the top-end of my XR, and after seeing how easy it was, i'd have a hard time giving that up. simple and reliable. but i completely understand why people ride the CRF. in fact, perhaps in a couple years (after honda's stop eating valves) i'd look into one. having both is probably ideal.

with an XR, all you need is a clean air-filter, fresh oil, and good gasoline. 12 pounds in each tire and make sure nothing has vibrated loose.... and YOU'RE OFF!

- it IS the machine people say it is. but do it with the knowledge that there is a lot more technology put in place and thusly, more maintenance, more to break, more to keep up with. the CRF, the WR, the RM-Zs, these are NOT the thumpers we're used to, they're F1 cars...

with an XR, all you need is a clean air-filter, fresh oil, and good gasoline. 12 pounds in each tire and make sure nothing has vibrated loose.... and YOU'RE OFF!

Amen brother! I've got a CRF250X and I'm scared to death to take it out for all of those reasons above.