Kennedy Meadows, Sequoia NF 8/10&11

Kennedy Meadows is nestled at 8000 ft elevation in the Sequoia National forest. There are epic motorcycle trails in the meadows, very challenging single tracks, AKA true GOAT trails.

Since my first trip to Kennedy Meadows, I have been anxious to revisit the Goat Trails in the Alpine forest at 8000 ft. Luck would have it that Greg, whom I rode with before at Randsburg, was anxious to go there and explore for the first time. We teamed up in Randsburg, and caravaned to Kennedy meadows...

Here is a shot at the Shell station in Pearsonville, as we picked up gas, ice and other supplies for a two day trip to KM a dramatic change of scenary is awaiting us; from a desolate high desert to a lush Alpine forest:

TM1.jpg

At the Troy Meadows campsite:

TM2.jpg

We were anxious to hit the trails, managed to get a couple of carbon copy maps from Clark Mason (the camp host) as the BlackRock station was closed, here is Greg on Beach Ridge trail (34E27):

TM3.jpg

The trails were in epic conditions, with a rain storm just a couple of days ago. We've planned our route early, and decided to take Beach Ridge to Albanita (35E06), Albanita To Little Horse trail (34E02), loop back through Beach Trail (34E01), take Albanita east to Jackass Creek trail (35E13) and back to camp...a 40 mile loop that feels like a 180 mile loop once you're done.

Here is a breif description of these incredible goat trails; Awesome and challenging single tracks, 6 to 12 inches wide, with rocks, boulders, rocky steps and razor sharp switchbacks with steep hills full of rocky ledges and massive dropoffs...margin of error= ZERO...you have to glue your eyes and attention to the trails, no letoffs whatsoever.

here is a pix of me on a steep rocky ledge

TM4B.jpg

Here is Greg, blazing through one of many rocky stream crossings... he makes it look so easy, but trust me, these creek crossings were deep and steep:

TM12.jpg

Riding through the forest with trees and rocky hills surrounding you was surreal, its hard to describe in words how awesome this place is:

TM7.jpg

Never seen a trail system so well marked, its almost imposible to get lost, providing offcourse that you have a trails map...thanks Clark

TM5.jpg

On Little Horse trail; this trail was very sandy and washy with logs marking its route and protecting it from rainwater:

TM8.jpg

Taking a small break on Little Horse trail, with a breathtaking view to our left:

TM13.jpg

TM30.jpg

TM29.jpg

On the way back, and just about to take Albanita To Jackass Creek trail, a much needed pit stop with energy bars in hand:

TM15.jpg

More to come shortly

:D

Its creek crossing galore on Albanita trail :roost:

Here goes Greg:

TM9.jpg

:D

TM10.jpg

:eek:

TM11.jpg

Another break by Jackass Creek Trail, right by Jackass Creek...this loop is not for the faint of heart...I was truly beat and almost wanted to jump in the creek and shower from head to toe:

TM17.jpg

The scenary was incredible, no matter where you stop; Greg by the side of the life saving creek:

TM16.jpg

Back at the camp, I dunno about Greg, but I was insanely BEAT :eek: We were both thirsty and hungry...I was too tired to even grap a quick bite...I took off my gear and crashed on my picnic chair for a well deserved nap

TM18.jpg

Greg was awesome on the trails, I think he found his true calling :D I'm so glad I had a chance to ride with him again....I think he managed to swallow half a sandwich before he crashed for a nap too.... here is the camp guard...don't let appearances fool ya...that is one vicious BEAST

TM19.jpg

Later in the evening we barbequed shish kabob with a mexican touch...sat by the camp fire and reflected on the day's ride....what an epic adventure, what a day, what a trail system KM truly ROCKS

...more to come tomorrow on our Thursday Ride (Aug 11th)... :eek:

Wow Lavabull, looks like you guys had a great time, been talking about going up there the last couple of weeks, a few questions for you, how long does it take to get there say past Jawbone? and I really hate goat trails I have this phobia about falling of cliffs(it just freaks me out) is there enough flat ground to ride on that doesn't have a cliff on either side of you? Thanks for the pictures looks like a great place to ride. Dan

Looks like you guys had a great time. Awesome pictures. Thanks for posting.

Wow Lavabull, looks like you guys had a great time, been talking about going up there the last couple of weeks, a few questions for you, how long does it take to get there say past Jawbone? and I really hate goat trails I have this phobia about falling of cliffs(it just freaks me out) is there enough flat ground to ride on that doesn't have a cliff on either side of you? Thanks for the pictures looks like a great place to ride. Dan

Hi Dan, YES! There are other trails, such as the Monach 4WD trail and other graded dirt and fire roads (some are street legal only!)

Pick up a folded color map from the blackRock Ranger station and visitor center. Be sure to ask for the color folded map, its free but the ranger will not volunteer it! It's the most awesome trail maps I've ever seen! It lists all the trails with their degree of difficulty. So for those of you who have piggy bikes like the KTM 950 adventure, or the BMW GS series, you can still go and marvel at the incredible scenary at the meadows.

Here are some pixs from our ride on Thursday, Aug. 11th.

Here is more pixs from our second day epic goat trail ride, Thursday Aug. 11th.

We wanted to do a shorter loop on Thursday, and decided to do Beach and Little Horse, coming back on Albanita and Beach Ridge trails. We were up by 7AM, and it was COLD...I mean freezing cold..

TM21.jpg

The cornerstone of every nutritional breakfast, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, cream cheese and moroccan black olives with french bread..orange juice, bananas and fruits...yumi..

TM22.jpg

Before long we were on the trails, it felt quite a bit warmer that day, with encraoching cloud cover....hmmm... hail and rain maybe?

TM6.jpg

Going slow on these rocky trails will get you bogged down in a mesh mash salad of razor sharp rocks and boulders...you really had to keep the momentum going to power over this gnarly stuff.. and oh...did I mention that there is NO margin of error....yeah, you fall, you'll break something or you'll land in some canyon ditch. Here are some pics of the trails...its much worse in reality:

TM23.jpg

TM24.jpg

Taking a rest by Beach Meadows...what an awesome place

TM25.jpg

More spectacular scenary and the encroaching cloud cover:

TM27.jpg

Beach Meadows:

TM26.jpg

I can't stress enough how awesome Kennedy Meadows is, and how critical for the offroad community to keep KM in the fold and preserve these trails for the next generation, so they can share in the fun and marvel at the scenic beauty...

TM28.jpg

We got back to camp after a three hour ride, a total workout for mind and body....yeeeaahhhh...bbboooyyyyy...KM ROCKS.. :D

Excellent pics and report LavaBull... and the reminder that with all the trail closures of late KM is still a jewel for the OHV community.

Ron

I have a question for you guys that ride there alot. Do you know if there is an actual campground type setup there. You know with showers and toilets. We are looking into a new place for the WCTTR 5. The trail system there looks and sounds great but we need the campground type facilities and be able to have an area for a few hundred people.

I have a question for you guys that ride there alot. Do you know if there is an actual campground type setup there. You know with showers and toilets. We are looking into a new place for the WCTTR 5. The trail system there looks and sounds great but we need the campground type facilities and be able to have an area for a few hundred people.

Your best bet is Troy Meadows campground and Troy overflow. There are plenty of Toilet facilities and available water stations. No shower facilities are available.

Lavabull- Can you tell me where KM is? The only Kennedy Meadows I have ever heard of is on hwy 108, above Sonora/Twain Harte area. But I never heard of Jawbone. I'd love to ride the trees! I live in northern Nevada and only really get to do desert riding. That place looks awesome. Thanks, Jason

Lavabull- Can you tell me where KM is? The only Kennedy Meadows I have ever heard of is on hwy 108, above Sonora/Twain Harte area. But I never heard of Jawbone. I'd love to ride the trees! I live in northern Nevada and only really get to do desert riding. That place looks awesome. Thanks, Jason

Hi,

Kennedy Meadows is on the Kern Plateau, North of Jawbone, on HWY 41, Sherman Pass Road. Its in the Sequoia National forest, south of Sequoia National Park, in the high southern Sierras. Its also known as Cannell Meadows: check out this Map

The meadows are at 7~8000 feet, and only open in the summer month. You'll ride among trees of all sizes and shapes, true Goat Trails with rocks and boulders and razor sharp switchbacks on steep hills...creek crossings and creek side riding, some of the terrain are offcamper shelf trails with vertical exposure. The terrain is technical and requires 110% of your attention, lots of physical stamina and mental concentration....

We almost fell asleep by the side of this creek, had we stayed just a bit longer...zzzz...

TM37.jpg

I know this thread is old but the pics have inspired me to set up a trip in july. What campground did you guys stay at and what did it offer, tent spots, water, toilet, shower, firepit, etc??? We will be tenting it probley but its nice to know what to expect so you know what to take. Thanks guys.

P.S. how do you get to the campground from sherman pass road??? Thanks again guys.

I'd like to beat the heat in SoCal. Is there sufficient "family" rides in KM?

I spent a few days over that way when the Internet Bike build went on. Keysville had some sweet riding, but I was told to come back and run Kennedy. I have not been back that way yet, but am anxious to due so. Nice pics thanks for the teazzzz LOL, note to self: get the hell out of Arizona for a few weeks regardless of gas prices...............:thumbsup:

Where did you guys camp? I heard there is NO trials by the campsites and unless you have dual sport bikes you will get a ticket riding to the trails... Also where can i find a trail map?

hmm.. almost a 4 year old thread.. The op might have died of old age by now!

just kidding.. it was a great thread with a great ride report.. it was nice to read it, but i wonder if the trails are all still open..

Probably ask the same question in the california forum.. might get more info.

There is Fish Creek that is about 1 mile before troy meadows, but you have to pay a fee and there are only bathrooms.

Where did you guys camp? I heard there is NO trials by the campsites and unless you have dual sport bikes you will get a ticket riding to the trails... Also where can i find a trail map?

There are trails that ride out of most of the campsites.

hmm.. almost a 4 year old thread.. The op might have died of old age by now!

just kidding.. it was a great thread with a great ride report.. it was nice to read it, but i wonder if the trails are all still open..

Probably ask the same question in the california forum.. might get more info.

They are all still open, but KM usally opens memorial weekend. I heard rumors that they didnt close at all this last winter, but I could wrong.

You can get a map at BlackRock Ranger Station up at KM.

A beautiful place. Excellent post!