Sign in to follow this  

Q for Burned: DRZ400SM specific DJ/FMF kit

I posted some info on this new '05 SM specific kit in the DRZ forum here.

If you have time, could you have a quick look at the settings FMF/DJ note for this SM specific kit which seem to differ from the standard S kit.

Do their recommended settings seem okay? I know I can install and then play around with the MJ sizes, clip positions, etc to fine tune but I'd like to get it near right with the initial setup if possible.

For this kit they note:

- the 3x3 mod (okay so far)

- 155 MJ on open pipe (as per burned post on the 05 SM)

- FS 3.5 turns out (again ditto)

- Needle clip #2 position (different to burned, but different needle taper?)

Any thoughts/comments (particularly on the needle and clip position)?

I'll be doing this tomorrow.

Thanks.

thats a completely different needle.install excatly how the instrucitons say and report back.

that kit had been listed for long time but wasnt available.

Okay, I'll be installing tomorrow (if my pipe turns up today as promised) and will report back on Sunday.

Okay, just back in after a test run (would have been out longer but the heavens opened).

I installed the 05 SM specific FMF/DJ kit 'exactly' per their instructions including the 3x3 (FYI I now have a CRD Absolute Performance 2 pipe). Pipe and carb work took around 1.5 hours (including a bit of faffing about).

Wow :D

Pulls better through all the gears.

No noticeble off idle bog (but I'll test this more later)

Top end off the MJ 'may' be a little rich? Possibly because the CRD pipe is very slightly baffled for noise reduction. I'll look into this later and go down a MJ size as a test if needed.

Plus, now sounds like a thumper should :D

any more tests on this DJ kit? i'm cinsidering whether to get the SM kit or the S kit.

Hi guys,

1st of all sorry to bring an old post back into light!

I have a (uk model, dont know if thats different from US) 2007 drz400sm which ive owned for 4months now and loving it, I currently have a scorpion slip-on fitted. After many months of reading about the 3x3 mod ive decided i want to do this too. Went into my local bike shop today and luckily the guy who served me had three drz's and was able to point me into the direction of http://www.rushracing.co.uk/productdetail.php?mn=1313&pid=355&vid=933 I understand this is basically a rebranded Dynojet kit? anyway... I live on the south coast in the UK at sea level. bearing in mind i only have a slip-on(DBkiller out) and not the full system what Jet set up should i go for...

AKIS originally said the kit advises:

For this kit they note:

- the 3x3 mod (okay so far)

- 155 MJ on open pipe (as per burned post on the 05 SM)

- FS 3.5 turns out (again ditto)

- Needle clip #2 position (different to burned, but different needle taper?)

should i go for 150MJ? as i dont have full system

And he did not mention changing the pilot jet, I am no expert and dont actually know what it does (going to wiki it in a second) however they guy i spoke to in this bike shop today said put a 25pj in. ?

Sorry to ask a few questions, but its about time my drz is re-energised!

Thanks a lot.

hi, thank you for your reply,

Just to clarify, when you say DJ needle + DJ slide spring, that is all included in the FMF power up kit? is that correct?

Thanks for your reply,

As i was getting excited about ordering my kit, it turns out the shop doesnt sell the SM kit anymore, nor did the 3 other shops i rang in the UK that where advertising it on their sites. So i had a look on the Dynojet website and i had a quick look at the PDF instructions http://www.dynojet.com/pdf/3110.pdf however it says US models only, that mean it wont work on my UK spec 07DRZ SM? many thanks