2003 Yzf250 Tranny Problem???

When I go out riding lately I have been finding that when I shift form 2nd to 3rd it will automatically shift back down like a minute later. the same just started happening from 3rd to 4th now. could this have nething to do with my clutch or is the tranny screwed and i need to get it repaired. :D

could this have {any}thing to do with my clutch

it's not the clutch.

or is the tranny screwed and i need to get it repaired.

yes. you most likely have a bent shift fork or the locking dogs are worn (rounded). it's time to crack open the cases.

ps: do not put this off, Really Bad Things will happen if you chunk a few teeth off of 2nd or 3rd gear and the pieces go through the rest of the transmission AND engine.

jim aka the wrooster

'01 wr250f

how much will this cost me roughly, and how long can i ride it like this. I'm leaving to go to an ameture grand nation championship on tuesday. will i be able to race this race on this then get it fixed :D:D:D

If you decide to replace the engine because of the expense of rebuilding the tranny, let me know, I will buy the motor off of you. I need an engine to modify for a Kart.

T.J.

how long can i ride it like this. {...} will i be able to race this race on this then get it fixed
Really Bad Things will happen if you chunk a few teeth off of 2nd or 3rd gear and the pieces go through the rest of the transmission AND engine.

jim aka the wrooster

'01 wr250f

well if i get a new motor i'll let you know, but i doubt i will. and far as it stands now i'm going to race it and i'll let you no how it works out. i don't have enough time to fix it and i've paid top dollar to get in to this. thanks for all the advice though

Your screen name fits! :D Do you have any idea how much it will cost if Really Bad Things happen to that engine and tranny? :D The cost of that type of failure will make your entry fee look like peanuts.