My first ever ride on a KTM/SXF

Hi. I thought I'd post my first ever ride report. I got a new 06 SXF last Saturday, and went out riding for the first time Thursday. I have been riding for about 15 years, and since 01 I've been on a 426, a 450 and 3 250 all YZF's. I've never ridden a KTM or even sat one one, but here are my first impressions:

The ergos are good, and so are the brakes. I had no problem getting used to the bike, and my boots didn't get caught anywere. Moving around on the bike was easy.

The suspension was really stiff, but I guess that's because the bike is new. It was the same thing on my YZF's. The bike felt a little less stable than the YZ in a straight line, but it was much easier to turn, and it would stick to any line I wanted in the turns. As it turns easier than the YZ I kind of turned more/sharper then I was planning to a couple of times almost running of the track.

The engine has LOTS of power from down low to mid, but it had a lot less on top comared to my old 05 YZF. When I started revving it, nothing really happened it just made more noise. On my YZF if I wanted to go faster, I could just rev it further, but on the KTM the best way to get more speed was to gear up to through the gears. I was a lot faster when I short shifted the bike using the bottom and mid power. I would say the power curve is more like on a 450.

All in all I would say I'm very pleased with my new SXF, and I also read somewhere it revs better after a few hours. Also I might be getting a new exhaust. Just have to figure out which one.

Awesome looking bike you've got yourself there. I've got two quick questions:

1. How do you feel the seat height is compared to your YZ's, does it feel a lot lower?

2. How much did you get it out the door for? Honestly.. heheheh.

Again, nice bike!

I posted this on the other board so I thought I'd cover all my bases.

Since I'm (and alot others) are on the waiting list for the '06 model, does the paperwork that came with your bike list it as the 05 or 06? I see it has the new airbox graphic. This has nothing to do with any possible updates, just interested to see if KTM is shipping the actual '06 production run.

I don't think the bike feels any lower than the YZ. But then again I wasn't really thinking about it. I will check when I go riding tomorrow. As I bought the bike here in Norway I payed 9250 USD.

My bike is a 06, as the vin no is: VBKMXJ4376M098841

Happy riding

Nicely written ride report, Knut. Thanks!- :D

OK, I just got back from my second ride on my SXF. I have about 2 hours on it now. Man, I just love this bike. It just gets better and better. The first time I rode it I was thinking to myself it didn't pull a lot when you revved it, but today this never came into my mind, so either the bike revs better or I've adapted my riding style to the power curve. I feel 100% at home on the bike, so the ergos are definitely working for me. ( I'm 5.9 feet and 178 pounds)Like I've stated before it turns really quick, and keeps any line in a turn like a dream.

Front brake has great feel and bite, and is miles better than the stock brake on my 05 YZ250F. It starts first or second kick even when hot, although I did have a bit of a crash today and struggled a bit to get it running again.

In conclusion I can only say that this is a really great bike, and to all you guys waiting for your bikes: The wait is worth it!!!! :D

does anybody have a link to the specifications of the 2006 KTM250SXF :D

I am first on the waiting list for one at the cycle shop here.

I didnt even need deposit to get on the waiting list so i can always back out if i need...sweet....but theres only a .0000001% chance of me backing out

i see your getting a 2006 yz250f, when you do can you please post up a comparison between the 2006 ktm250sxf and the 2006 yz250f?

I am first on the waiting list for one at the cycle shop here.

I didnt even need deposit to get on the waiting list so i can always back out if i need...sweet....but theres only a .0000001% chance of me backing out

i see your getting a 2006 yz250f, when you do can you please post up a comparison between the 2006 ktm250sxf and the 2006 yz250f?

Yeah not to sure about getting the YZ now, as I'm so happy with my SXF :D

thats good to hear!

how light/flickable does the bike feel?

hi, ive got one with about five hours on it and like you said it get better and faster every time i ride it, i just got of a 125sx and its on a different planet, it also starts very well, i lowered the fork oil 15mm and it made a big difference i also added a few clicks of rebound front and back and switched to 18mm ofset which worked well for me. 170lbs

awsome machine!

Good luck with the exhaust, as the stocker is a one piece.

To remove it you must also remove the shock.

it cant be that hard to remove the shock on the ktm, theres no linkage. Theres just two bolts holding it on.

from what I have heard, the exhaust is NOT a 1 piece...bad info!!

Hi. The exhaust is one piece from the motor to the beginning of the silencer. Not like the Yamaha were you have a joint between the header and the pipe to the silencer. Shouldn't be to hard to remove it I think.

ooooooooh mumma...

I want one I want one I want one....

Looks like the end of my 426 is near...

I can't wait...!!!

i just love the look of it! the black frame, wheels and sus looks soooo sexy :D

The 250 is a very nice bike....was wondering if i was going to get a 250 or 450....but the dealer received 2 250 and 1 450 special it was not even a doubt in my mind...the special edition is so ended up with the 450...

I will think you should go for a Ti 4 for your 250 :D

Do you know what the oil capacity is? Also is it the same type of system as before or is it separated between the engine and tranny like the CRF's?