Sign in to follow this  

My first ever ride on a KTM/SXF

I race hare scrambles and off the line when the flag goes down I have to crank it and then take off. and I have a 250SXF 06 and I am woried adout it cranking off the line. I think it might just have to do with it getting to hot, and not wanting to start. eather that or it's the jetting. what do you think?

only 2000 euros away from my ktm 250 sxf.. should have it by end of october... damn can't wait!!!!!!!!

I race hare scrambles and off the line when the flag goes down I have to crank it and then take off. and I have a 250SXF 06 and I am woried adout it cranking off the line. I think it might just have to do with it getting to hot, and not wanting to start. eather that or it's the jetting. what do you think?

are you using the hot start? mine with the hot start, starts right up when its hot

Can you compare the power of this bike with a 200 EXC? How long do they take to brake in?

hi guys,

just got myself an 06 sxf yesterday. very difficult to get here in Britain now. my dealer phoned me yesterday to come collect it. the thing is i came off my crf 3 weeks ago and had to get pins in my elbow so I'm not going to get to ride it for another month. I'm gutted it was a lot easier not riding when you don't have a new bike in the garage. :banghead::applause:

I just ordered an 06 250SXF. I spent three hours on Saturday calling about 30 KTM dealers looking for one. Most laughed when I asked if they had one in stock, saying they wish they had 10. I lucked out and found one in another state and they shipped it to me super cheap and no sales tax either.

They said that it was imperative that I follow this break in procedure, that KTM had sent out a message to dealers with these instructions.

1. Ride for 15 minutes, no more than 1/4 to 1/2 throttle, let cool down, check oil.

2. Repeat step 1

3. Ride for 3 hours no more than 1/2 throttle, check oil again.

The dealer said that the bike is supposed to gain 3-4 HP if break-in is followed correctly and that it is critical to follow these directions. Sounds weird, but I guess I'll do it. I'm supposed to get the bike on Friday, that gives me Saturday to break it in and Sunday to hit the track.

I'm comming off a 04 CRF 250, that I just sent back to the shop for another valve job after about 15 hours on a complete new top end. I'm sick of missing riding because my bike don't work, so I'm hoping this baby will fix that for me.

-Ryan

I just ordered an 06 250SXF. I spent three hours on Saturday calling about 30 KTM dealers looking for one. Most laughed when I asked if they had one in stock, saying they wish they had 10. I lucked out and found one in another state and they shipped it to me super cheap and no sales tax either.

So where did you wind up buying it from? Which State / Dealer? And how much?

Got it from a dealer in Oklahoma (Altus Motorsports), paid retail and got it shipped for 100 bucks. No sales tax either. Some of the places I was getting prices at were asking 500 over MSRP, I saved about 900 bucks over buying it from a dealer in my state.

ahhh man....

I found a dealer here who has two of them un reserved in his showroom...

I finally just about got the cash... Tomorrow I'm calling and getting mine reserved for next week pick up...

I just can't wait....

ahhh man....

I found a dealer here who has two of them un reserved in his showroom...

I finally just about got the cash... Tomorrow I'm calling and getting mine reserved for next week pick up...

I just can't wait....

you will love it and your yamaha avatar will quickly change to KTM :banghead:

I picked up an 06 ktm 250sxf last week and have not had time to ride it until today. Let me just tell you that this bike is amazing!! I have been on yamaha four strokes the last three years, and my friends saw me ride this for the first time and said that I have never looked so fast...and I am just breaking the bike in! The suspension is better than any of my yamahas...and they were totally redone by Factory Connection. Corner speed has always been my downfall, but not any more. It is amazing how much more corner speed I am able to carry with this bike. The only thing that is going to take time to get used to is having six gears. I have not had six gears since my 03 rm 125! I can't say enough about this bike! I had a decked out 05 yz250f and yz450f, and this bike is going to take the place of both of them! They are already for sale. I believe my next bike will be a KTM as well. I have never rode a KTM before in my life...but it only took 1 ride to be hooked on it for the rest of my life. I will end by saying if you do not have one, and the opportunity arises...GET ONE!!!

If you are thinking about purchasing the 250SXF or just want to relive that perfect practice ride, set aside the next 10 min and read on. Links could consume an hr so be careful.

Is it the bike or has all the practice started to add up to one great riding experience?

Now that I have 70+ hrs on the 250SXF in the North East woods, I almost feel responsible to report the experience to help others considering the bike for the purpose of riding exclusively in tight single track.

Turns: Consistently rolling the bike back and forth through a series of S turns while clicking the handle bars off small trees you really start to respect how this bike can cut through a turn. It feels so light with such a low center of gravity that you feel you are almost throwing the bike down, but with a touch of throttle, it stands up and you can throw it back to the right. Back and forth without pushing the front end out of the turn. The SXF loves the rider to be way up on the tank. The more I concentrate on keeping forward and just letting the back end float, the better the bike performs. Although I read much information about cornering by the pros, other bikes resist the proper technique to master a smooth corner. This bike accelerates my ability to ride fast through corners period. Over logs, hill climbs, and off camber I am way up on the tank, sliding back slightly only for exiting a corner whoops and straights.

Power and Acceleration: It is silly to think this bike is legal to run with 125 cc two strokes when every ounce of power connects directly to the ground like a big bore 4 strokes. On the loop that I am riding currently, I have a few turns that have a log across the trail about 5 bike lengths out. You come out of the turn and start to accelerate and pound across a log the size of your coffee maker. Not an espresso machine, just the standard Mr. Coffee 12 cup. I accidentally powered out the corner raising the front end just enough to juuuuuuust touch it down right on the top of the log. It felt so good that I did it 4 or 5 more times. You can come out of corner in second gear with all your weight forward. Lay on a hand full of throttle and this bike will pick the front end up with you still in the attack position! With practice you pick the exact spot to drop the front end.

Dudes, it was so sweet to have that much control. What is interesting is if you want to ride the bike like a standard 4 stroke you can cut the same corner in 3rd gear using all the bottom end torque and just start to touch the mid range hit as you accelerate. I think this is why so many guys suggest this bike to perform identical to their KTM 450s. The power to weight has got to be almost identical considering my EXC weights 259 lbs compared to the 220lb SXF. What is the stock hp of a 450SX? 45? 450EXC? 42?

I have a straight stretch where you can wind out in 4th maybe touch 5th. This is where I slide back a bit and let the bike pull. With stock 13/48 sprockets you can bring the front end up and ride it through to 4th. If you time the shift to stay in the meat of the mid range, you will swear your ground speed to be that of the big bore 4 stroke for the first 800 feet. You’re shifting fast with this 6 speed to stay in the narrow peak power hit, but it’s designed perfectly. A wide ratio transmission would reduce shifting and rpm, but this bike loves to scream. Even after having put 70+ hours on this bike, just last night I found myself shaking my head after running through the gears on a straight. How in the world can this thing feel like a 125 cc in the tight single track corners and explode down a straight like a 200 two stroke? I feel this bike is the perfect combination of 2 stroke racing/fun, with 4 stroke torque to ride mud on rainy days. It has saved me countless times at the top of hill when I have judged a gear to high and powers over whoops in 5th gear to let the suspension work.

Reliability: After considerable time to break in, this bike is extremely predictable. You know that it will start with 3 kicks cold and choke. Few minutes to warm up and the rpm stands constant in any range and the power delivery never changes from start to finish. Never coughs in rocks or coming out of a corner. No dead spot off bottom. Starts hot with one or two kicks without hot start. Stall/flop it and grab the hot start with 4 or less round house kicks and you are running again. Although not recommended, I always start in gear. I never worry about being able to get it started hot, for not once have I not been able to kick it to life the same as flooded two strokes. Brakes never fade, clutch stroke never changes and I have yet to bottom the suspension. Everyone has an opinion on lubricants. With research I run MotoX (what the bike comes with) in everything. I think we all owe this 4 stroke the respect to give it the best. With 12.8 to 1 compression, close tolerances and high RPM we big bore 4 stroke guys need to rethink grabbing what ever the dealer points to on the shelf.

Suspension: I did have the suspension re-valved at the shop listed below because I could not keep the bike on the trail through my rock garden loop. AKA Boulder Dash. If you push, you will be placing orders for rotors/sprockets/radiators/plastic. Point is this. Enduro and EXC riders should not judge the stock suspension of the SXF. After 70 hrs to confirm, I will state that the revalving makes it perfect for North East riding. Harvey Smith aggressively competed for years in local hare scrambles and maintains a sealed suspension lab that feels like a clean room when you enter. With considerable research I chose this suspension shop for rarely do I find individuals that do not continue to revisit their suspension repeatably even when working with the big name companies? I picked up my forks and shock with considerable instruction on how to set the sag, compression and rebound. I have dialed it in to allow for extreme speed in rock gardens and massive log crossings. I have not bottomed yet and it tracks through a corner without pushing the front or feeling like the rear is bouncing. Harvey has a closely guarded valve pack recipe that tracks over rocks and roots without deflecting and yet maintains a solid mid range firmness to corner and take huge woops/ditches without bouncing you off the trail. I have confirmed by letting other AA and A riders render a verdict and without exception, they have suggested to leave the suspension right where it is. Leave the compression, rebound and damping for it’s near perfect for aggressive woods riding.

Sorry for all the detail, but when I experience something really good; I want to share with others. Last nights ride was perfect. I reduced my best lap times by another 40 seconds on top of the full minute and a half trimmed off my 450’s best lap time. I could feel the bike working under me in stead of just holding on and occasionally feeling a sweeping corner. Time and time again I tapped the bars on trees snaking S turns and building berms inside of present ones. Placing myself into the attack position way up on the tank braking for a quick corner with balance, traction and speed to rail out and lift the front with my head over the number plate. It was spiritual I tell you!! That was a perfect lap no that was better, no that one was the best yet. Wow, how did I just race up over that hill climb with a shelf and peg dragging ruts? It was a fluke. Nope I did it over and over. Two more races for the season and if I can just place first one more time I’ll will get the over all points and the big trophy at the awards dinner.

Life is good!

Modifications:

Must do’s for the 250SXF

1. Manufacture Recommended lubricants http://www.motorace.com/miva/merchant.mv?S...gory_Code=Lubes

2. Re-valve the shock and forks http://webpages.charter.net/prince78778888/ACE/

Stock springs for a 195 lb rider

3. 250SXF jet kit from http://jdjetting.server304.com/

4. Skid Plate http://www.devolracing.com/wheretobuy.htm

5. Front tire 80/100x21 Maxxis Maxx Cross Sand and Mud Terrain Try this tire for $ 46.00. I experiment with tires against lap times a lot. I have gone back and worth with the Michelin soft and this one, but I do not think I am going to go back to the Michelin again. http://www.rockymountainatv.com/viewLarger..._05_FRN_SM_.JPG

6. Rear tire 120/90x18 Michelin S-12 Soft Terrain http://www.rockymountainatv.com/productDetail.do

7. Flip the steering stem

8. Thread lock the shifter and most all other fasteners

9. Hand Guards http://www.fastwayperformance.com/fitsystem/

Your choice:

Flywheel http://www.trailtech.net/flywheel_1.htm

Q2 muffler http://www.wholesalemx.com/basket.asp?cook...es&V_ID=refresh

Disk Guard http://www.enduroeng.com/default.asp

Steering Stabilizer http://www.scottsperformance.com/

Pivot Pegz Why Not http://www.brapoffroad.com/product2.htm

is this bike comparable to a 450? i ride alot of trails and have a gas gas 300 and love climbing hills, does this bike have the power to make it up a huge sandy hill?

thanks for the input. :banghead:

is this bike comparable to a 450? i ride alot of trails and have a gas gas 300 and love climbing hills, does this bike have the power to make it up a huge sandy hill?

thanks for the input. :banghead:

Well no it doesnt have the power of a 450, but if you ask me the "powerband" is more like a 450. You can actually lug this bike if you want to, or you can wind it out.

I had mine in some sandy turns last time i rode it and the bike would just pull right through it, way better then a crf or a yzf 250 would through the same corners

PONIE, How many times have you checked/adjusted the valves. How hard is it to check/adjust the valves. have you had to do anything else to the motor, piston etc?

Hey all you guy's.....I've been riding and racing my SXF for the last 2 month's. It rules :p I race in the veteran class and all of the guy's in my class are on 450's and I own the front of the field in the holeshot department :p this bike flat out hauls the :applause: mail. I've been out of racing for the past 10 or so years but I ride a lot of bikes, and this is the BEST bike I've ever ridden, period. It has more power than any 250 four stroke if ridden, and I think that with a bit of tweaking it could pull some 250 two strokes....As far as hard to start...I had some problems at first, and thought I had made a bad choice. I talked to KTM Canada and was told to not kick the kickstarter so hard (sounds odd I know) but they were right. If you kick easy in one smooth stroke, it always flashes within 2 kicks. I look forward to working on the suspension, and jetting to make it super plush, and more arm pulling. But as it goes now it is the best, everone that has one know's what I am talking about and everone that doesn't have one wishes they did know what I am talking about.....2006 KTM 250SX-F :ride:

I'm a 40 plus B rider(Motocross). I rode my friends 250 SX yesterday and the motor has got power on the bottom, mid and top. Where I noticed it most was in the engine over rev, its nice to have that little extra power when you want to pass someone. I'm 160 pds and I think the suspension is a little stiff. I opened up the compression and rebound two clicks which helped the bike to absorb the small bumps better but I think some who is 160 or lighter may have to go 1 size smaller on the fork springs and shock spring. The bike had a light feel when it came to throwing it around in turns and the seating position was pretty comfortable, although for my personal preference I think I might put on a higher bend handlebar. The clutch feel was awsome and the front brake were sweet but the back brake were very sensitive causing me to shut the motor off 3 times comming into turns. All in all if I bought this bike I would be very happy with it but I would definitley look into making the suspension a little more plush.