Sign in to follow this  

Buying used 04 RMZ250

I'm buying first 4 Stroke (coming from 2 strokes). I'm looking at a 2004 RMZ250.

What do I want to look for when I go look at this thing? Or what questions to ask?

I'm a little nervous about the whole 4 stroke engine and keeping it running correctly.

Thanks

I'm buying first 4 Stroke (coming from 2 strokes). I'm looking at a 2004 RMZ250.

What do I want to look for when I go look at this thing? Or what questions to ask?

I'm a little nervous about the whole 4 stroke engine and keeping it running correctly.

Thanks

I will throw my two cents in here.

Buying used 4 strokes can be a gamble.

Questions I would ask is........

1. About the individuals maintenance practices.

2. Ask if any head top end work has been done.

3. Has the valves been checked/adjusted recently.

4. How many hours are on the bike.

5. Has the bike overheated frequently.

Of course you are relying on the integrity of the individual to be honest with thier answers.

This probably doesn't ease you mind.

ask him "how to". How to check the valves. How long does it take to check the valves. How to change the oil. How much oil. If he gives you specific answers he's probably done a lot of maintanence witch is good. If he gives vague answers he probably hasn't done much.

Example:

How do you check the valves?

Good: Pull the seat, tank, shrouds and valve cover off. Set the motor to TDC and use a feeler gauge to check the clearences. They should be .13 and .15. Should take about 20 mins.

Bad: Pull some stuff off and check the gap.

here's some advice. Find a yz250f. The five valve head on the yamaha is way less strain on the valves. If you still want an rmz get a 2005. Bigger rads. better water pump cover and stronger 3rd and 4th gears.

here's some advice. Find a yz250f. The five valve head on the yamaha is way less strain on the valves. If you still want an rmz get a 2005. Bigger rads. better water pump cover and stronger 3rd and 4th gears.

HAHA, I've had my 04 since they first came out. Yeah the water pump sucked, but that was an easy fix. Bigger rads??? Mine has never overheated, I ride and race in So. Cal. AND mine has never needed a valve adjustment :D

oh and the third and fourth gear thing. The only place I've heard of this is pros(third pinned through woops... A LOT of stress). I don't know anyone personally that has ever had that problem, and I doubt you do.

You are 1 of a very few without valve trouble. After missing so many race dates waiting on parts for the head on the 04 KXF I bought a new 05 Yamaha YZ250F. 1 fork seal and a new rear tire is all it's needed so far. By this time period with the KX we already had a new head assy. and another intake valve replaced by the dealer under warranty. Just check out the resale on KX versus Yz. That will tell the tale. I just saw a 04 KX with several goodies and the SS/brass valve and seats work done go for $2300.

maybe I am lucky, but you also have to consider that you are really only going to hear from the people who have problems. People like myself who have perfectly running bikes will almost never say anything on these internet message boards. I don't doubt that they have a less than stellar reputation and that they definately have more problems than the yamaha, but then again so do the honda.

You are 1 of a very few without valve trouble. After missing so many race dates waiting on parts for the head on the 04 KXF I bought a new 05 Yamaha YZ250F. 1 fork seal and a new rear tire is all it's needed so far. By this time period with the KX we already had a new head assy. and another intake valve replaced by the dealer under warranty. Just check out the resale on KX versus Yz. That will tell the tale. I just saw a 04 KX with several goodies and the SS/brass valve and seats work done go for $2300.

I am with PDR447, the only things I did to my 04 (bought used) was replace the Rads, Water Pump, Pipe & Silencer, Hinson Clutch, I run Two2Cool and Engine Ice. I practice twice a week (3- 20 minute seesions each practice) and race every weekend (2 classes or 4 motos). I have never waited on parts, never missed a race due to issues and never had any problems with valves. In fact I just completed a maintenance top end due to hours, and everything looked great!

I speak to more people that have NOT had problems than have had problems. Most of those problems are due to rider error or poor maintenance. The mods I spoke of above would be done to any model 05/06. Besides I test rode the YZF, CRF and KXF/RMZ and the YZF is a tank compared to the RMZ.

As far as the 3rd & 4th Gear thing, if you are that good to have those problems, then my hats off to you.

thanks pop. Oh and for the resale thing, I would definately not blink at paying the same for a used KX as you would for a used YZ. It's really a shame that a few people(and the mags) can completely ruin a bike like that. In my opinion their reliability(with proper maintenance) is equal, the difference is that the YZ is more forgiving if you slack on the maintenance.

Just did a maintenace top end w/ valves for a buddy, I almost $hit my pants when I saw what he paid for valves! I paid less for Kibblewhite valves and complete spring kit, than he did just for valves???? I was always a Yamaha guy, until I rode the RMZ. The handling runs circles around the YZF!