Sign in to follow this  

Tranny question

I don't want anyones head to explode trying to figure the application out but....

Is there a way to make the existing tranny a single speed with nutreal and reverse using the existing gears.

All the motorcycles that I know of that have reverse use the starter motor to propel the bike in reverse.

Maybe there is a MC transmission with a true reverse but I am not aware of one.

The Boss Hoss may use the actual transmission for reverse, but I believe even it uses the starter motor to back up.

It would seem to me that the gearing required to cause a vehicle to reverse directions would not be present in a motorcycle transmission. I would think you would have to scavenge a transmission that already has reverse gearing or have special gearing machined to obtain the necessary gears for such an application.

You need a bevel gear to change directions which does not exist in a motorcycle transmission.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/gear4.htm

-

-

dirt bike mag, july i think, had an article on a xr400 with reverse. i believe they patched in a gearbox from a honda quad w/reverse.

An existing one.......no. One would have to be designed and built from the ground up. You could use some parts from existing ones but there would be some that would have to be custom milled.

You are looking at doing basically what is done all the time on inboard boats. Have a FNR transmission, it can be done but someone would really want to and have a full machine shop at their disposal to do it.

The simple answer to the original question is - no. You may be able to design an external reverse using clutches and planitary gearing. What is the application?

Come to think of it, if you could get power from the clutch shaft that would be reverse of the countershaft. It would take some design and fab work. What kind of torque/power do you need in reverse? Power take-off right out of the clutch cover? 4th gear from the countershaft would be about the same shaft speed as the clutch.

I don't want anyones head to explode trying to figure the application out but....

Is there a way to make the existing tranny a single speed with nutreal and reverse using the existing gears.

Available direct from Suzuki, as a standard fitment, To the DRZ based quad !! whatever it is called:excuseme:

You put it in first, turn a switch and push down on the gear lever again, reverse. It kills the engine if you use to much throttle, but I am sure you could disable this safty devise. Only problem I can see is you will still have 5 forward gears, and you only wanted 1. Still you can't have everything.

Question, why do you want a reverse gear.

(sidecar:excuseme:)

Neil.

:D

The short answer is NO on a DRZ400 engine ... However ... the answer is YES on a LTZ400 engine (fourwheeler)

Bottom ends are different between the quad and the bike even though they share the same top end.

Given that title, I was worried that your post would be something about the hazards of riding in high heels or where to get pink riding gear in XXXL. :D

Please tell me you're building a DRZ400 powered go kart :D

Given that title, I was worried that your post would be something about the hazards of riding in high heels or where to get pink riding gear in XXXL. :D

Just trying to figure out if it is "Tim" or "Christy" asking the original "tranny" question??? :D

Seeings as everyone is on the edge of thier seat, the application is in a fan powered parachute with wheels. I need the prop to go forward with the normal power but I also need something in reverse too. So 1 forward and 1 reverse, Netruel is just for idling without having to hold the clutch.

I am also thinking quad conversion for the road. I want to use a DRZ400 for both of these ideas. My S is a perfect canidate for the quad conversion though.

The bottom line sounds to me like if I get an LTZ motor I can put it in the DR frame without much of an issue. Or just swap bottom ends of the motor.

Fmaxwell, it worries me that the first thing you thought of was that. :D

Just trying to figure out if it is "Tim" or "Christy" asking the original "tranny" question??? :D

I just read that fully. :D

Nothing crazy, I am just whipped. I don't wear the pants in my family. :D

wait, what? a fan powered parachute with wheels? what the hell is that?! hah

wait, what? a fan powered parachute with wheels? what the hell is that?!

Sounds like a complicated way to commit suicide. :D

Seeings as everyone is on the edge of thier seat, the application is in a fan powered parachute with wheels. I need the prop to go forward with the normal power but I also need something in reverse too. So 1 forward and 1 reverse, Netruel is just for idling without having to hold the clutch.

Powered paraglider? Okay, I can see the reasons for a single speed, but why the reverse? Did you want to land and then suck the wing back into the prop?

Every one that I've looked at (I've considered buying both the fan-on-the-back type and the sit-in type) uses a two-stroke, air-cooled engine with a simple belt drive. I think that it's a very bad idea to try to put a DR-Z400 engine into one of those. It weighs much more. It requires water cooling, which is a failure point. The transmission makes it less reliable than a simple belt drive. It's valve train provides more potential failure points. We're not talking about a bike where, if the ACCT fails, you coast to the side of the trail. A motor failure on a paraglider can, if you're in the wrong place when it happens, be very serious. That's why they are all ultra-reliable, simple, two-strokes with no transmission, usually no electric start, etc.

Fmaxwell, it worries me that the first thing you thought of was that. :D

When your username is "timandchristy8," it wasn't much of a logical leap. :D