turning around in super tight trails?

okay i ride at this old rock quarry alot and we go up the mountian trails but the trails get so tight that it takes like 3min to turn around and get off my bike now i was wondering if you turn your front handle bar and grab the front brake and gas it does the back of the bike swing to the direction the handle bars are facing?

i was wondering if you turn your front handle bar and grab the front brake and gas it does the back of the bike swing to the direction the handle bars are facing?

Yes, If you are really really good, or if you have a lot of guts. If you lean your bike over with one foot on the ground steadying the bike (and you) it can be done with less difficulty but more work. :D

unless there are rocks embedded in, or bigger rocks on the trial, turning around is as easy as you made it sound. I ride an xr250 and have no problems leaning it over about 45 degrees (with foot on ground of course), turning the bars all the way to inside of turn and gassing it to make the back end spin around. I do not even use the front brake at all as the thing is cocked enough that the front tire is a good pivot and only moves slightly. The trail does have to be about as wide as the bike is long though.

If the trail is narrower and you happen to have an upslope to one side, you could ride the front wheel up the slope to get perpendicular to the trail, hold the rear brake and yank the bike around using the rear tire as a pivot. This gets easy with a little practice

Hope this helps.

yea i see what your saying thanks!

I tried a tip from an article in Dirt Bike Magazine by Scott Summers :D where you line up on the far right hand side of the trail, wheelie the front end up to a balanced position- from a stopped position by pulling on the bars while gassing and cluching it ( practice this by itself first and become comfortable with it if you aren't familiar) press the rear brake & place your left foot out on the ground (toward the rear not front), and pivot by turning/pulling/leaning to the left to 180 deg. Make sure to move your left leg out of the way as the bike swings around. It's not that hard to do if you practice it first- I've been doing it ever since and I'm a C class rider. :D

Lean the bike over, and pull in the clutch, turn the bars and let go fo the clutch and rev it so the back wheel spins and you can spin it around. Kind of like doin a donut.

okay ill try that on monday when i go riding there and let you guys know how it goes

When its a real tight single track I usually ride the bike uphill a ways then roll backwards and turn around.

I do the "donut" spin to turn around almost every time I go riding. I never thought of using the front brake though, but it would probably make it a little easier.

Sorry, I know I will sound like an ass to say this, but if you have enough room to spin the bike around, then the trail isn't super tight.

30 inches or less is tight.

its about 3ft wide or so i think

Yeah, all of this advice works in the real world except for the one about the wheelie thing, it is out of reach for almost all our ability. To easily turn your bike around, keep the engine running get off of the bike put your side stand down, lean the bike over so it pivots only on the side stand and spin it around. It is super easy. :D

I've seen the wheelie one done before and its pretty impressive. You can do the side stand move, but i prefer the "donut" technique. I've seen friends (the guy that does the wheelie one) spin his bike on a dime with a flick of the throttle, but i'm nowhere near that competent. It really takes commitment and some practice to get comfortable with it, otherwise its a pretty simple move. Most importantly, don't do it over loose rocks or you'll dump the bike as it slides out of control.. which i've done quite a few times. My advice for learning it is to start on an open field and spin it a few times, gradually trying to get tighter and tighter. Eventually you'll get used to it and a "tight trail" shrinks down to something one tire wide.

Yeah, all of this advice works in the real world except for the one about the wheelie thing, it is out of reach for almost all our ability. To easily turn your bike around, keep the engine running get off of the bike put your side stand down, lean the bike over so it pivots only on the side stand and spin it around. It is super easy. :D

Unless you are on a KTM, then the kickstand will just break off :D

It's easier to make the back end slide around doing the "donut" turn if you move all the way forward on your bike, lean the bike over, press down on the bars and use the inside leg to push the bike around as you let the clutch out (inside of my thigh presses about where the seat and tank meet. Pressing down on the bars while pushing with the leg unweights the rear tire allowing it to slide easier).

I can't wheelie around, but I can do the "donut turn". My suggestion is to practice this when you're not in a tight situation. I spent a weekend camping & practiced this in a sand pit for a few hours. Its second nature now.. A tip, in order to slide the bike every time you gotta commit to it every time. I've wussed out right before I give it throttle and I ended up going straight into some brush instead of sliding around! Could of been a cliff. Good luck.