replacing rear axle bearings

ive never done this before and my brothers bike is needing it done. its a ttr125le if that matters. also where could i get a bearing kit, most stores only have them for mx bikes. could anybody give me directions on how its done and what special tools are needed

Yamaha probably sells a direct replacement part, and tool wise, you might need a bearing press, but i've never done it, so someone else will have to help you on that.

You can buy the OEM axle bearing through your local dealer. Try searching for them in the Yamaha parts catalog so you can go into your dealer with the part number handy.

www.yamaha-motor.com

As OEM is the most expensive way to go, try www.pivotworks.com, they sell them.

Are you just talking about the rear wheel bearings?

Are you just talking about the rear wheel bearings?

i think he is, if so when i did mine i jus took the wheel off and sat it on my lap and got a big think flat head scew drive and tapped em out with a hammer(go threw the one side so u can hit the back side of the bearing) had to heat them up a little bit with a torch, worked great, for puttin new ones in...jus made sure they were straight, got a block of wood and tappe them in, worked fine, thought i was gonna need a press but i didnt

I just got a long round flat end chisel from Sears, you tap out the one end, then turn it around and do the same on the other end,one of the bearings usually has a C clip, white litheum grease everything, put in one side, put the old bearing on top of it, and tap in, make sure you put in the axle spacer BEFORE putting the other bearing in.Same thing use the old bearing tap it in, or you can use a Socket of the right size, just dont hit the inside ring of the bearing, only put pressure on the outer lip of the bearing.

Plenty of grease between new seals, on axle,Ect...

I can change mine in a few minutes, and have everything back together, nothing to it!! :D

And then you can RIDE :D

ok... thanks.. i thought it would take all kinds of tools and stuff.. but i guess if i look at the manuel and and follow these directions then i should be good..

thanks

If you put the new bearing in the freezer for a while it will drop right in with litttle effort. after you put the new bearing let the temperature equalize for a bit before mounting it up and riding it.

What I do to my new "sealed" bearings is carefully pry the plastic side cover off the bearing with a small screwdriver and expose the rollers (be careful if the sides are metal as these can bend easily). I then pump a heap of grease in there with a small fine nosed grease gun used for chainsaws (small and cheap to buy). The plastic side cover is then popped back on pushing all that grease in even further.

You can do this with most sealed bearing and they will last a lot longer. It a good trick when rebuilding things and the old bearing is a bit dry.

You can drive the old bearings out with a long round punch, or you can go to Lowes or Home Depot and get a small diameter piece about 12" long, of cold rolled steel rod that will work. Also, you can uses the old bearing as a press tool to install your new bearings.

You can make a tool that works well. You need a long punch, grind the end with a flat on one side about 2'' long. Heat the hub and they will pop out. Freeze the new bearing and reheat the hub for install. This way you wont have to beat the hell out of the bearing.