Sign in to follow this  

87 XL600R Newbie question

Hi all. I recently purchased a 87 XL600R, after not having ridden for nearly 15 years. I know the procedure to start this beast, and have had no problems until recently. Normally when the bike is cold, I give it full choke, no throttle, and it usually fires on the first or second kick. When it is hot, no choke, no throttle, and same thing. Lately, I just can't seem to get the bike to start when it is cold. By cold, I mean later in the day. Early morning cold, it still starts immediately. Later in the after noon, after getting off work, and the bike has sat for several hours, I kick & kick until the sweat pours. After 10 - 15 minutes of trying different choke positions and throttle, it finally fires.

Once it is running, everything is fine until the same time the next day. The carbs were rebuilt a few months ago, its getting fuel and spark. Could this be a choke issue with the warm summer days?

Sorry for the longwinded question. Any help would be appreciated.

BigPete

are you choking it in the afternoon when you first try to start it ? If you are try it w/out choking it. maybe its warm enough that you dont need the choke.

I don't use any choke on mine. It is jetted correctly. This is a HUGE issue, as stock they are extremely lean to pass emissions. Look in the XR600/650 forums for more info on this bike.

Thanks for the suggestions. As the weather is quite hot now, I don't choke it at all at first in the afternoon. That doesn't work either. I keep trying several different choke positions until it finally fires (several minutes).

I have not checked the valves, as suggested above. How would this effect the start problems I am having?

BigPete