Mikuni pumper is a must have.

Best $400 you can spend on the XR400.

an edlebrock unit about $400 as well. i wonder how two compare against each other?

Thats easy re-jet the Mikuni when you ride at higher altitudes. Now adjust your E-brock with the external adjustment. Which was easier? Other than that they are both a real improvement over stock. :D

agreed - great improvement.

an edlebrock unit about $400 as well. i wonder how two compare against each other?

I read it on here - not to get the E-brock - so all I heard was how great the Mikuni was - and it defenitly feels better right out of the box! I always try and search for info from the past on here first. Some times its hard to figure good from bad. Only the longer you have this bike the more you know. I've been listening to you guys for a long time now. :D

I'm wondering tho if they both might not be a little too small for an XR440. I'm considering the FCR 39mm. Anyone with experience with a 440/FCR 39mm combo?

http://xrsonly.com/html/carb_kits.html

i think the ebrock is best because my carb is dialed in. i have it adjusted perfectly for no backfire on decel and no missing on mid rpm. even with clean or dirty filter my A/F mix seems to be stable enough under both conditions i dont have to adjust anything at all.

I used this one www.edelbrock.com/offroad/4-honda_motorcycles.shtml

They will bore it round to 38mm for the 440 for a few extra dollars.

By reading those dyno charts, the xr400 has more power than the drz or klx400 and 5 hp or so less than the wr450. Looks pretty good. :D

By reading those dyno charts, the xr400 has more power than the drz or klx400 and 5 hp or so less than the wr450. Looks pretty good. :D

They say at 8,000 RPM.. for some reason I just don't see our XR's revving that high anytime soon. But I still love mine.

But doesnt it make you feal all warm and fuzzy inside?

They say at 8,000 RPM.. for some reason I just don't see our XR's revving that high anytime soon. But I still love mine.

Rev limiter is at ~9k RPMs :D

I dont see mine doing it either,but it is nice to know it can happen if needed.

Isn't the stock carb a 36mm, or is it 34mm? I can't remember.

I may have a mikuni for sale in a couple weeks. I just bought an edelbrock to try out. I had a mikuni on my bike for about 2.5 years. I added an electric start last summer. the starter sits behind the cylinder head under the carb. you cannot change the jets easily anymore since the float bowl will not come off easily. I ride at various altitudes and changed jets frequently. Took about an hour to change a main jet. Had to lift up the subframe and access the carb from the rear. Just got an edelbrock to see how easy it will be. Will be at about 11,000 a week from now. Will see how it works. At a constant altitude, I LOVED the mikuni becuase it pumps ALL THE TIME.

Just went out to Gorman yesterday to tune it and the bike - and practice for the Invaders race in a couple of weeks. Got the whole bike dialed in and then wiped out doing a 50 mph pass through some big whoops! I was feelin it right before the fall! Loving the change in the bike. I think I'm going with new trees and a damper real soon. Oh yeah I need a new pipe now. I folded my FMF Q in half - and the header is bent. It was a very ugly fall. I'm typing good for two sprained hands though. So - what pipe shoud I get? Maybe I should change. I do need under 96dbs for racing. Any suggestions??? Man I'm hurt. :D

The White Bros. E2 is a good choice for the 400. Excellent fit and finnish and meets AMA requirements without choking the bike down. This is the pipe I use with their header,have been nothing but pleased with it.

I thought one advantage of the pumper carb over stock is that it is less sensitive to changes in altitude. Is that the case?

My stock would run great from 0 to 9200 feet. Hope the Mikuni is better!!!