Sign in to follow this  

License Plate Positioning in CA

I've read some information about where license plates can and cannot be positioned on your bike...in California. I have recently installed a BD LED tail light and some flushmount blinkers and I am really liking how clean the rear end looks. The reason for my post is that I would like to keep that rear end clean and license plate free if possible. Keep in mind that most of my time spent on my bike is in SM trim. Here are my questions regarding my issue:

1) I was wondering if it was legal to put the license plate under the fender like a roadbike with a fender eliminator kit...assuming I rig up a light to it. Are those road bikes that have that installed legal in Ca? I would, of course, remove the plate when in offroad form to keep the rear wheel from possibly ripping it off.

2) If so, I was considering an LED panel that is punched through the rear fender above where the license plate would go (I hope you can picture this) so only the LEDs are showing. Similar to the three white license plate LEDs on the BD assembly. - - Not really a question but could end up being a new thread soon!!

3) I've seen some mount their plates longways on the BD tail (like burned and some others)...is that legal in CA? Not my most desirable mounting, but an option nonetheless.

Any input from anyone who might have experience would be appreciated...thanks. Pics of options are always cool too. :D

-Jeff

:D In CA what is legal, and what you can get away with are two different things.

I run without front license plates on all my cars and trucks, without ever getting stoped for that. However, when I did get stopped fro running a stop sign, I was also tagged for the front plate. I had to put it back on to have C H P sign off the ticket, then I went home and took it off again. Same thing for bikes. My buddy has flush mounted turn lights and a partially hidden license plate on his street rocket, and never got stopped for them, but when he got nailed for doing a wheelie on the freeway, they wrote up everything. He had to put back all the street legal equipment to get the ticket signed off, then put back on all his aftermarket blinkers and license holder.

My advise is, if you often get stopped for you driving style, leave it legal, but if your driving style doesn't attract Johnnie Law, then you can get away with some vehicle code violations, as long as they aren't TOO illegal ! On my DRZ, I use shortie turn signals, and my lic plate is tucked way up under my aftermarket taillight/mudflap, and I cut about a 1/2 inch off both sides of the plate to make it narrower, and wrapped it around to edges of the mudflap, so it doesn't look like a billboard on the back of the bike. It looks WAY better than stock, and so far, no problems with the police. :D

5200 CVC states when two plates are issued for a veh, they shall be attached to the front and rear. When one is issued, it shall be attached to the rear.

5201CVC states that the plate shall be securely fastened and mounted in a position to be CLEARLY VISiBLE, and maintained in a condition to be CLEARLY LEGIBLE. The rear plate shall be mounted no less than 12" nor more than 60" from the ground.

24601 CVC states that either a tail lamp or separate lamp shall be so constructed and placed as to illuminate with a WHITE light the rear lic plate during darkness and render it clearly legible from a distance of 50' to the rear.

I hope this helps...

Also...keep in mind..if Johnny Law WANTS to pull you over...ANY moving or equipment violation will do... :D

Take it from me...I KNOW :D

P.S if you or anyone else has any legal questions regarding the California Vehicle code. I will do my best to answer them

LA-MOTOR

I am not in Ca, but Thanks LA-Motor for the info. It's good to get it from someone "in the know". :D

5200 CVC states when two plates are issued for a veh, they shall be attached to the front and rear. When one is issued, it shall be attached to the rear.

5201CVC states that the plate shall be securely fastened and mounted in a position to be CLEARLY VISiBLE, and maintained in a condition to be CLEARLY LEGIBLE. The rear plate shall be mounted no less than 12" nor more than 60" from the ground.

"Your honor, I mounted my plates facing the ground so that they would be clearly visible and clearly legible to anyone working on the underside of the vehicle. I checked just this week with a creeper and both tags were clearly visible and legible. The statute never indicated to whom they must be visible." :D

I think if you walked in to court looking like this.. :D..Threw up your hands. :D and began to rant and rave :eek: about how you mounted the plate so that when you crash...and your motorcycle was upside down the plate could be clearly legible to any approaching veh. You might just have a chance. also if you do a little of this :D It probably wouldn't hurt your case either. Then throw yourself at the mercy of the court. :eek: and by the time you're done the judge will most likely look like this :eek: and the officer will be saying

There is no substitute for experience. :D

LA-Motor, you sound like alot of friends I have on the force. Guys listen up, they are by far the best at not being D.... and won't hassle you unless you are causing problems. But respect comes with respect and I for one have the utmost respect for those on LA's PD.

Now, the CHiPies are another thing, along with some of the Sheriffs, they look for those things that don't live up to their standards.

Thanks LA-Motor

Hey SILENTSHOK,

Thanks for the words of support. And if I ever pull you over in LA...Here you go. This one is on me. :D

JailCard.jpg

24601 CVC states that either a tail lamp or separate lamp shall be so constructed and placed as to illuminate with a WHITE light the rear lic plate during darkness and render it clearly legible from a distance of 50' to the rear.

I hope this helps...

Also...keep in mind..if Johnny Law WANTS to pull you over...ANY moving or equipment violation will do... :D

Take it from me...I KNOW :D

LA - Thanks a lot man!! I really appreciate the help. That was exactly the reassurance I needed. I'm going to rig up the LED idea and throw the plate where I really want it. Nice to know that there are still cool cops out there.

:D

-Jeff

LA-Motor,

Lets just hope I don't have to use that one :eek: But always with respect, and my support.....You guys have the most unthankful, dangerous job there is, yet the majority of us thank our lucky stars you are there. It's the minority and media that sqeak the loudest :D

Just as a note: I was watching the news this evening and they said violent crime was down in the LA area, but that the reports of abuse (police) were up. Lets see, I wonder who was complaining, and why violent crime was down? :D

SILENTSHOK :D