MCCT--bottom line question

In all MCCT posts, I can't find the answer to this question:

People who have an MCCT aligned per Burned's method: When you open up your engine, what does the chain tension look like?

I put my MCCT in with the cover off, so I matched the ACCT tension. With the ACCT, I could deflect the chain between the cam sprockets about 1/16 inch with a fingernail on the chain rivets. Afterwards, with the bike running, I couldn't hear any "chain noises" so I loosened the MCCT. I quit loosening at 3/4 turn, because I still didn't hear any new noise. If I pull the cover now, I'll see more slack, but how much should I expect? :D

Next to none

How much is that in inches? With how much force applied?

Just don't get too paranoid about this!

Forget the chain play, just set the bolt until vibration disappears.

I've done two by Burned's method and it's just fine.I'm also a mechanical engineer, so was equally concerned myself, but needn't have worried.

Haven't owned it long enough to know one vibration from another. That's why I'm hoping to find numbers. The posts are chocked full of opinions--I need details.

This bike is going across the country to college next week. I need to get it right before then. Don't have a lot of R&D time available.

I got the Bitech MCCT and dorked around with it for like twenty minutes doing the Burned method. Move it out, listen, move it in. I chuckled because after a while I was second guessing what I heard. Finally I decided I had it and locked it down. Then I put the kick kit in and decided I wasn't so sure about the MCCT. I loosened it again and went through the whole process. Even the second time I don't feel 100% comfortable with what I've done. But the second time I know that the tension is a bit looser than the first time. If I understand correctly, with the MCCT you are not putting excessive pressure (if done correctly) and also there is no way for the chain to all of a sudden go slack, barring the chain breaking of course. I assume that the ACCT failure mode was loss of tension on the chain? Or was it too much tension on the chain?

latest models acct is the best bet according to my local suzi dealer :D

pjfry, you can definitely hear the chain start to rattle as you back out the MCCT, if you back it out far enough for it to start rattling. What I get unsure of is just the point that the rattle stops as I screw it back in. It is a little tricky with my old ears I guess. Do it the method as described by Bitech..... put the ACCT back in, remove the valve cover and inspect the chain tension. Then put in the MCCT and turn it in so the chain is the same. Then just ride it.

thumper929, do you expect a Suzuki dealer to say "oh yeah, our ACCT is a piece of crap" ?? I kinda treat any dealer like lawyers.... how do you know they are lieing....their lips are moving.

thumper929, do you expect a Suzuki dealer to say "oh yeah, our ACCT is a piece of crap" ?? I kinda treat any dealer like lawyers.... how do you know they are lieing....their lips are moving.

maybee i'll review it when the warranty has run out :D

latest models acct is the best bet according to my local suzi dealer :D

Really?? And what design does the dealership sell? And who is it that will sell you a replacement chain when the one you have now stretches beyond use? and who will most people take their bike back to when it needs a chain replaced?

And since when does anyone believe anything that a dealership has to say.. Or some nobody on the Internet for that matter :D

It's all just info.. use it, lose it, or modify it to fit your needs.

I assume that the ACCT failure mode was loss of tension on the chain? Or was it too much tension on the chain?

Loss of tension when the acct failed and let the chain go slack. Regardless the acct puts way too much tension on the chain and leads to the premature wearing of it.

Loss of tension when the acct failed and let the chain go slack. Regardless the acct puts way too much tension on the chain and leads to the premature wearing of it.

Which is why I'd like to know what it's supposed to look like when it's set correctly!

I checked the tension on my 03 ACCT tensioner (on an 01 DRZS) and found what you did - about 1/16th of play, and the chain was easy to move. So thats a 16th of play pulling on the chain ON the cam gears. (chain is not straight going over the gears)

Since the bike was apart for a water pump failure I checked the chain at its bottom-most point and it also had the same amount of play.

If there is a 16th of play when the bike is not running then there is no LESS play when the bike is running. The only difference would be that of the chain moving as most of the cam chain is well-surrounded by guides.

Having worked on bikes for over 20 years it makes no sense that the chain is too tight when you and I find play in the chain using a well-designed ACCT tensioner. And, on my bike I checked the chain at 4000 miles and yesterday at 17000 miles - still about 1/16th of play anywhere.

I agree that the ACCT before 2003 was prone to failure. And the failure caused major motor damage. Anyone can see that the 2003 and later tensioner is desinged much better.

Since I replaced my 2001 tensioner with the 2003 acct model I can tell you that if you use a spring resistance measuring tool you will see that they have almost the same amount of potential spring tension in the 2001 and the 2003.

This tells me that the spring tension is fairly constant from DRZ model to model, even if the design of the tensioner is not.

While I have heard of questionable bearing conditions in the heads and various reports of 'odd noises', it makes no sense that the chain is too tight when there is a consistent amount of play in the chain.

FWIW, after 17000 miles the valves are still perfect, and the bike has been a tank. There is no visible problems with the heads, cams, or any of the cam chain guides. If the chain was too tight I would not expect the bike to be in this condition.

Put in the 03 ACCT and go drive it until the water pump starts to leak

That WILL happen!

This is like my KLX300 that had a defective idler gear that connected to the kickstarter. When these models were first introduced, they made the gears really hard (and brittle), but in the event there was too much stress (like a 200lb guy like me kicking hard), the darn teeth would break off and in my case, one of those teeth got stuck in another gear and punched a huge hole in my engine case.

The dealer said they fixed the problem in later years by changing the hardness, but the last time I stopped by there, the salesman told me it had happended a couple of more times to new bikes. The solution for me after the second time was to get an aftermarket gear and ignore the dealer.

It is not like someone is telling everyone to spend $250 on a part. The part cost about what a decent tire does. The same issue is creeping up for street bikes and the norm for almost everyone is to go manual.

I too spent several hours agonizing over whether i was adjusting my Bitech MCCT correctly as per burned's method. Finally i came to distinquish that there is a DEFINATE rattle when it's too loose. It's obvious. And all you need to do is tighten it till the extreme rattle stops. U can also feel it very well in the adjutment bolt as well. Trust your judgement if your following the method!!!

I've got a tin ear. This machine has plenty of rattles. Still looking for a measurement from an actual MCCT adjusted per Burned's method.

My ACCT kept play between the sprockets to 1/16 inch. Where should the MCCT be set?

When I adjusted mine, I couldn't here the rattle. My white bros r4 covers up pretty much any and all noises. I could feel it though.

I think Rui's instuctions recommend to set it near the ACCT tension. I would just try that, mabey even slightly looser. At the very worst, setting it to the ACCT tension will give you some peace of mind, even if it is a little tight. Good luck..

Matched to the ACCT is where I originally set mine. "Slightly looser" needs a number to go with it.

We have two methods for setting the MCCT. Has anyone compared the resulting chain slack of the two methods? By compared, I mean MEASURED the difference?