Sign in to follow this  

backfire screen

I finnaly removed the backfire screen from my bike, and i was also told to replace the stock filter with a twin-air filter. But the twin-air four stroke model comes with a built in backfire screen! what the deal? why shouldnt i just run the stock filter with the screen?

twin air has a flame resistant foam on the inside. its black in color.

my screen is out. i run the twin airs but sometimes for convenience sake i use the ready racing filters. havent had a back fire. not really much of a concern. just dont wash whatever filter you use with gas and install it right away. wash it out with soap and water first and then let dry before you oil it.

the best part of not running a screen is that it makes it easier to get the cage into the filter and aligning it up.

i run a stock filter with the screen cut out. it has been cut out for about 75 hours and no problems

why shouldnt i just run the stock filter with the screen?

No reason. I run the stock filter with the wire screen removed (not cut). The best way to avoid a filter fire is to avoid using flammable cleaners and oils on it. I use NoToil, but I'm sure other products (Maxima) are fine.

I run stock filter with The tiwn air filter cage and pro seal gasket. I bought it with this set up. Works perfect so I have no reason to change it.

A guy in the 450 forum has a post about his 450 catching on fire. He had the screen in. I guess it can happen with the screen in also.

A guy in the 450 forum has a post about his 450 catching on fire. He had the screen in. I guess it can happen with the screen in also.

Was he sitting or standing ?

if your valves start to tighten up, a lot of times you can get valve blow by. It happens more on the exhaust side than on the intake, but it can happen on the intake side. Id just be careful about it. 90% of people including me caant ride this bike for all its worth, then why bother?

if your valves start to tighten up, a lot of times you can get valve blow by. It happens more on the exhaust side than on the intake, but it can happen on the intake side. Id just be careful about it. 90% of people including me caant ride this bike for all its worth, then why bother?

90%? naw, try 70% of people.

Was he sitting or standing ?

What??? Not sure what you mean.

He was kicking it, and pow fire.

i run a twin air and the inside foam isnt black

I think they have two types. The regular one and the one with the fire backing.

This confuses me here, is the screen where the air filter foam attaches to which connects to the air intake box? Excuse my technical knowledge.

So there's not really a significant gain from this? I've just bought a Twin Filter (white/orange), would I need the screen with it or would it be a safe bet to include it?

I understand taking it out has almost no effect. The filter foam restricts the air more than the screen, making the screen, or lack thereof, a mute point.

*moot* point