im about to give up on my rear brakes...

so i bled my rear brakes today

pushed the pedal down, cracked the bleeder valve, closed it, then let the brake up

but after the second bleed, nothing came out of the bleeder valve when i cracked it open, so i closed it, and pumped my brakes some to see if that would help, it didnt, im going CRAZY! :D:eek::D:D:eek::eek:

close everything up and pump the brake pedal, lol i took my rear wheel off right be fore i went riding and went down a straight trail thats a dead end, jus to get my bike waemed up, get to the end and go to hit the rear brakes and nothing happened lol, grab the front brakes and washed out, it was hilarious, i totally forgot to pump my brakes after puttin my back wheel on

Put a clear hose on the valve

make sure your full in the res.

open the valve

press down on the lever

close valve

let lever come up

You should see plenty come out. I like to have the clear line to see the air bubbles and also have the hose elevated slightly to make sure no air goes back into the valve...

Place the end of that clear pipe into a jar partially filled with clean fluid, then you have two chances to see bubbles and no air can be drawn back in. Make sure you use full strokes of the pedal and keep a close eye on the resevoir level as you go. :D

Put a clear hose on the valve

make sure your full in the res.

open the valve

press down on the lever

close valve

let lever come up

You should see plenty come out. I like to have the clear line to see the air bubbles and also have the hose elevated slightly to make sure no air goes back into the valve...

wait so im supposed to open the valve then pump down? because ive been pumping down then openingm and where can i find a clear tube?

wait so im supposed to open the valve then pump down? because ive been pumping down then openingm and where can i find a clear tube?

1.With the bleeder valve closed push the pedal down

2.While still holding the pedal down slowly open the valve just enough to let air bubbles escape (about 1/8th turn)

3.Just before the pedal comes to its limit close the valve or you'lll suck in air as it raises up

or do as the others said and connect a clear tube to the valve and submerse it in a jar with clean brake fluid. That will prevent it from sucking up air when the pedal is returning to its regular position.

ok, i see, but i mean, i did that, and still no cigar, but now i can actually hear some fluid in the master cylinder, maybe my brakes had no fluid at all in the lines?

also, should the the whole caliper assembly (the whole thing, even the housing), should that be able to move a little? i tighetened all the mouting bolts and it seems like it has a tiny amount of movement maybe 1/8 of an inch, maybe less

is this normal?

motorcycle shop will carry it you need about 5-10 inches so you can see the air. I bleed mine by

1 Taking the resorvoir off and lowering it twards the ground

2 Take rear schock off (Ihave a KTM 300 exc so this takes about 1 minute)

3 Take a tie down and bring the rear tire all the up to the rear fender to raise the valve up in the air(so its easier for all the air to escape)

4 open the resorvoir

5 pump the brake a couple of times then hold it down all the way and while the brake lever is down crack the bleeder valve just a bit, watch for bubbles and fluid then tighten completly, then let the brake lever return then repeat, keep doing this until you have about 10 perfect spurts of fluid with no air bubbles

it may take about 10 times just to see fluid the first time if you let air in on your previous attemt earlier today

if you dont have enough new fluid in the resorvoir then you will suck air back into the line

always make sure the cylinder has a good amount of brake fluid in there

The caliper assy floats on the pins so when the piston moves, there is pressure on both sides of the rotor, much like a c-clamp operates. If the assy didn't float, only the piston side would apply pressure......does that make sense to you?

When bleeding the brakes, you may have to go through the steps of pump...hold down, crack bleeder until air is out....tighten bleeder, let peddle up, pump....hold down, crack bleeder...etc several times to make sure all the air is out. One or two times isn't going to get the job done.

DON'T FORGET TO KEEP THE RES FULL, or you'll have to start all over again.

The movement you're experiencing is normal, the caliper mounts to a slide type mechanism on the swingarm and will not be solid.

I guess it's possible that your brakes were working strictly from pressurised air, but doubtful. If the system is totally dry then fill the reservior, open the bleeder 1/8 turn and proceed to pump (and pump, and pump, etc....). Do not let the reservior get below 1/4 empty, get someone to help you and make them designated fluid pourer.

Once you know there's fluid throughout the system then follow my other instructions. Its an easy task, just a time consuming pain in the butt.