Taking the forks off

I have a 2001 YZ125. It has a leaky fork seal and this is my first time doing any kind of suspension work. Should I take the whole steering stem off or just loosen the clamps on the forks to get the forks off? What should I know about doing fork seals. I don't really want to buy a fork seal driver, so I'm going with the ghetto PVC pipe trick. How big should the pipe be and how should I cut it to do the same job as a fork seal driver? If anyone could steer me in the right direction for instructions on a fork seal job that would be awesome.

Thanks.

P.S. Here's a pic of what i'm talking about with the forks. How should I go about removing them?

forks.jpg

First remove the front brake caliper, then the wheel. Next, loosen the upper and lower triple clamp pinch bolts and slide the forks out. While you've got the fork out, go ahead and take the steering stem out and regrease the bearings.

I can't help you on the fork seal tool.

First remove the front brake caliper, then the wheel. Next, loosen the upper and lower triple clamp pinch bolts and slide the forks out. While you've got the fork out, go ahead and take the steering stem out and regrease the bearings.

I can't help you on the fork seal tool.

Thanks. Anyone else have anymore information?

Well, getting the service manual is the best thing you can do. It'll walk you through step by step. I just had the same issue and CV4 is right, though each bike may have nuances. Usually people say to replace both seals and fluid if you have one side that is blown. Since mine were pretty new I just did the blown side and not both. Once you take the wheel off (and brake caliper if you are taking that side's fork off), just loosen the upper and lower triple clamp bolts and the fork will slide out. Then it gets a little more technical and the manual is really helpful. You have to remove the cap bolt on the top of the form (remove any air first), drain the fluid, remove the spring, etc. I have a cartridge fork and not an inverted fork so I couldn't find the right damper rod holder tool. So I just took the fork to a local shop and they charged me $70 (!!) to replace the seal, though they did a great job. With the proper tool I don't think it is that hard to follow the manual.

get a service manual..... That being said. Pull the forks off, both of them. Change the oil in both of them. The manual will give you step by step instructions. If you have any questions on that part call your local shop and talk to a service technician. You will drain the oil out as per the manual. With reguards to replacing the seal..... pull out the dust seal, then the retainer clip, then the oil seal.... which pulls the outer tube from the smaller inner tube. I have, in the past, used a screwdriver to press the seal in, but it requires a REALLY soft touch and patients. I suppose you could put PVC around the base of the fork, with the seal on top of it, and use the tube as a slide hammer to press it into position..... If you have any questions, the best thing to do is call your local shop and ask a technician/mechanic.

That's how I learned many many tricks and cheaper ways of doing things..... the service tech may let you use his fork seal driver if he likes you enough....

best of luck, and once you do it once its all gravy

must be hitting some big jumps eh ?

Thanks. Anyone else have anymore information?

Yes, follow what Moto Stevo said about a service manual. As far as the pvc trick is concerned, I made one a few years ago. It works fine, but I had to sand down the end of the pvc pipe to get it to fit inside the tube so I could press the seal into place.