Sign in to follow this  

Exhaust Port Cleanup????

OK....is the "EXHAUST PORT" right were the exhaust system feeds out of the engine??? Does cleaning it unleash a little better performance??? How do you even clean it??? I own a 04 CRF250R with a Ti_4 exhaust system...the pipe gives the bike some "umph", but how can cleaning the port help?????

:D Advice PLEASE

OK....is the "EXHAUST PORT" right were the exhaust system feeds out of the engine???

The "exhaust port" on a 4-stroke is the "tunnel" inside the cylinder head that connects the exhaust valves to the exhaust pipe. The "intake port" connects the intake valves to the intake pipe. Here's a view into the intake port from the intake pipe courtesy of novaman64.

Does cleaning it unleash a little better performance???

It can, if done properly.

How do you even clean it???

Send your cylinder head to a knowledgeable head porter like RHC or others. If you're careful, you might get a very small improvement for removing any casting flash (rough casting lines) inside the ports without changing the shape of the ports. For light duty work, and to ensure you don't remove too much material, you can probably use a Dremel Tool and grinding stones. But remember, it's a lot easier to screw up ports than it is to improve them.....

if you smooth the exhaust ports out and and polish them you will gain some but the biggest thing is just grind out whatever ridges there are and make it smooth so it will flow. you do this so youre exaust will flow better and create more power.

Blending the seats into the ports will help. Both intake and exhaust. The Exhaust will do fine with 180 grit paper, I use 80/100 grit for the intakes.

Some guys put on a mirror finish to the exhaust. I see no reason IMO. The port gets cruded up from the fuel anyway, even race fuel like VP U4 will leave corrosion behind. Some of that stuff used in U4 and others etches the exhaust ports when exposed to moisture.. But that is another story....