Help with oil seal issue?

My b/f has an 05 450R which the oil was turning black and the site glass was constantly filling. We've pretty much determined that it is one of the seals. He just removed the clutch basket, but is a bit confused on which seal is the problem. Could anyone help? I'm looking at a picture of the 2005 CRF450 Crankcase that shows all the components and the numbers for each, but I don't know which oil seal is the correct one, or do most people with this issue replace all of them since there appear to be 5 of them on the?

This is a picture we just took of what we're looking at right now.

This is the parts picture I found on TT.

Donna I wish I could help, their seems to be several seals. Maybe you can add oil to the oil side an see if it leaks in.I think the seal is behind that secant sprocket to the right. the sprocket above the engine mount.

The one with the word "OUT" on it?

No the one to the left thats the crank seal that DonO was talking about. make shure you mark it befor taking it off. And I am not 100% thats the seal. You should be able to see if its bad when sprocket is removed.

If you have air you could probley rig some thing threw the oil fill to pump a little air in their and listen by those seals for one that is leaking.

I have a 2005 crf450 and I just heard that Honda is doing a recall on certain model numbers due to the seal behind the clutch basket being inserted backwards at the factory. My bike did the same thing.

Re: 2005 Oil Leak Confirmation?

i just did my 14th bike for my customers, and this was the second 05, and i have always put the crank seal and the balancer seal in.

and i can always see where the balancer seal looks almost blown out from being seated from pressure from plugged trans vent or overfilling of trans oil, --and yes i have seen one 05 where the crank seal was alittle crocked but i could not see that it had ever passed fluid,----i have really only seen one crank seal that i could say yes it was leaking, and it was on a 400 hr beat to death 02 that had way more problems than swapping fluid.

i really think the balancer seal gets pressurized out from mud plugging the vent and or overfilling the tranny , almost all of the bikes i have done are operator error,---.

the hinson clutch assembly witch holds way more fluid because of a deeper cover seems to help this seal get pushed out, -----over half of the bikes i have done have this cover on and the guys fill those over full and start the problem.

but it is such a simple repair,---hell i have done it at the track in my trailer .

i just don't think it is a big deal, ---if you don't keep your vents clear it will happen .

now i have epoxied and staked the balancer seal in for guys that i know wont keep the vents clear and run to much fluid ,----and they work good , now i don't like to do that but oh well .

it is faster to just pull your bike appart and check the darn thing yourself and fix it if need be rather than think the kid at the dealer will do it correctly for you ,----i mean you can do the whole job in a hr and it only takes 5 parts , and now you know its right , rather than sitting at the dealer for two weeks,----i cant Tell you how badly some of these get screwed up that i get from dealers!!!---its sad!

well it is a matter of removing your rock gards ,kicker, shifter and brake arms,dropping the coolent ,trans and engine lub,and removing the rt and lft engine covers.

then removing the clutch and basket, then remove the rt crank bolt , and the rt balancer shaft nut and you can then pop the crank power takeoff gear off and look at or change the rt crank seal , and you can slide the balancer shaft out the left side and look at and or change the balancer shaft seal witch is on the left side.

it is a very quick little job

it takes one rt and left cover gskts

one coolent o ring and rt crank seal and balancer shaft seal.

when i get to the shop i will look up the numbers and add them on.

ok the lt side gskt---11395-meb-670-----11.49---list --5.33 jober

rt side gskt---11394-meb-670-----14.79---list--8.96 jober

balancer seal ---91203-meb-671-----4.89 ---list--2.27 jober

crankseal ---91202-meb-671-----9.62---list --5.32 jober

o ring for coolent ---91256-383-721-----2.85---list---.89 jober

this is what the numbers and prices are out hear in az, ck with your dealer and see for your area.---

it would not hurt to have these parts on hand so if a buddy and or your bike developed the problem you will be more than ready !!

i try and keep two sets of these in the trailer just to be safe !!

Last edited by kelstr : 03-28-2005 at 07:55 AM.

I found those threads too, but I'm still not sure which is the seal (s) that I need to take out.

Everybody says its the one under the primary gear Thats the one that has the punch mark on it in your pic I know it is only a pic but I dont see the other seals damage.

I found those threads too, but I'm still not sure which is the seal (s) that I need to take out.

yes once you get your clutch out and your left side cover off,

you remove the one bolt and one nut on the rt side ( the balancer nut is the goofy castle nut that you will need to make a socket for and the one rt next to it is the crankshaft bolt with the two primary drive gears on it,

then you pull the balancer shaft out the left side , and you pull the two gears off the rt side, and there you go,

both the rt crank seal and the lt balancer seal can be popped out ,

and then you should stake the holes and locktight the seals in and let the locktight dry overnight and you good to go !! :D

( the balancer nut is the goofy castle nut that you will need to make a socket for

ohhh boy, lmfao, how do you make a socket, is there a special socket i can get to get that "castle nut" off?? :D

Some guys just take a socket and grind the slots in it to fit the nut. I forget what size they are using...13/16 maybe???

Thanks kelstr. When he took the cover thingy off and seen the seal, it was crooked and that's why it was leaking. Parts are coming Tuesday since none of the dealers around here had the parts to put the bike back together.

Great to here your luck is changing, It sounds like you have a great chance to repair the seal. :D:D:D:eek::eek:

At least we seen the reason why the oil was leaking, let's just hope this is the only problem with it. :D

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Kevin from Wiseco
      Jeremy Martin Leads the Charge for Wiseco Riders at Daytona Supercross
      Christian Craig Turns in Career Best in 450 Competition
      MENTOR, Ohio (March 13, 2018) – Jeremy Martin showed the way for Wiseco-sponsored riders in Saturday night’s Monster Energy Daytona Supercross presented by Honda. In a season marred by bad luck and misfortune, Martin put together a near flawless ride to earn his first Eastern Regional 250SX Class podium finish of the season.
      Martin qualified eighth for the division’s annual visit to the World Center of Racing, finished fourth in his heat race, and came home second in the 250SX main event, missing his first win of the year by less than a second.

“It’s Daytona, a real man’s track.” said Martin who sits fourth in points. “It was the toughest race of the year as far as fitness. I had to slow down a little bit, halfway through the main. I was getting close to (race winner) Jordon (Smith) and I was starting to think about where I could make a move on him, then I made some mistakes and he got away from me. Couldn’t quite get close again, but it’s good. We’re on the podium and in contention for wins again. That’s something I haven’t been able to say in supercross in a while. We want to get wins and now we know it’s coming.”
      Martin’s podium was a bright spot, but the rest of the event was rough for the GEICO Honda/Factory Connection squad. RJ Hampshire crashed hard in his heat race and had to be transported to a local hospital. He injured his back and ribs, but shoulder pain left him with the most concern.
      “I felt good on the bike all day,” said Hampshire via his Instagram account. “Had some pretty good speed and my foot just slid off hitting my shifter in those rollers during that heat race. After seeing the pictures from the crash I’m very thankful I didn’t take a shot to my head. I have some fractures in my T3/T4 in my back and ribs. Also have some damage to my lungs which is why I’ll be spending a couple nights in the hospital. I’ll be getting some more checkups this week on the shoulder also.”
      Cameron McAdoo, the third member of the team, was unable to compete at Daytona after being sidelined with a hand injury two races ago in Atlanta.
      Across the paddock, in the premier 450SX Class, Christian Craig got the call to fill in for Team Honda HRC. With the team’s regular riders Ken Roczen and Cole Seely out with injuries, it was up to Craig to carry the load for the factory team, and the upstart rider didn’t disappoint.
      The San Diego native was solid in both qualifying sessions, won his heat race and snagged the holeshot in the division’s main event. After relinquishing the lead to eventual winner Justin Brayton, Craig continued to show he was up for the challenge. The 26-year-old rider raced for second and third for most of the 20-minute-plus-one-lap feature before losing one more spot in the late goings to bring his No. 32 Honda CRF450R home fourth in the final rundown.

“I had a great week testing with the team,” commented Craig. “They came down to Florida right after Atlanta and I feel like we really improved. Just getting more time on the bike and getting more comfortable was huge. I started off race day feeling really good. My qualifying position didn’t really show it, but overall I was happy with my riding. It’s all about having fun out there, and man, that’s what I did tonight. I was up front in the heat race, fell to third, but then the two guys in front took each other out so I ended up winning. You can call it luck or whatever, but I just put myself in a good position to capitalize on people’s mistakes."
      “I had a good gate pick and some confidence going into the main. I grabbed the holeshot and led for almost the first lap, but [Justin] Brayton got by me pretty quick. I stayed second for quite a while. I just rode my hardest and did my best. Unfortunately, a couple guys got by me so I ended up fourth. The track was so tough. This is only my second time racing Daytona and last year didn’t go well, so I really wanted to get some revenge this year. It’s better than the week before, but man, I was so close to a podium. I just need to keep putting myself in good positions and work on getting better each weekend.”
      Monster Energy AMA Supercross rolls on this weekend when the series visits the “Gateway to the West” for its annual race at the Dome at America’s Center in St. Louis. The 11th of 17 races on the 2018 supercross calendar will be televised live on FS1 Saturday, March 17, beginning at 8 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time, 5 p.m. Pacific.

• By desert520sx
      I have a 03 450 that I just got and it runs great! I love my bike and am big on preventative maintenance. I have searched the threads on TT and have not found any descriptive threads on how to check valve clearance or adjust them. Just by looking at them, I can see that the intakes need to be shimmed and the exhaust valves can be adjusted quite easily unless one needs to be adjusted differently than the other.
      I tried to do it last night, and lined up the marks on each side to get the piston to TDC to check adjustments and could not get any readings on tolerances on either the intake nor the exhaust. I moved the crank a little bit forward and got a .011 reading on the exhaust valves. I read in a thread that the spec was .011" for the left one and .014" in the right for the auto decompressor. The spec I am using for the intakes is .006" Are these specs correct? :excuseme:The only issue is that the adjustment for the exhaust valves is one and the same. Different from my KTM where you can adjust each valve individually.
      No matter where the cam was on the intake valves, I could not get any readings. Does anyone have a thread, website, downloadable manual, or article on checking and adjusting valves in these beasts?
    • By Eric Schrader
      I am selling my 2007 Honda CRF 450-R which is set up for desert racing (Track/desert). It has an 18" rear tire with a heavy duty setup (see description for details). The bike screams and has a Tokyo mods carb mod with the 10x ignition mapping (currently set to a handlebar switch for smooth power and max power). Gas tank is a 3.2 gallon IMS dry break tank. V4 steering stabilizer included. Precision Concepts suspention, Bike is set up for 6'4" 175lb rider. Zero oil leaks and well maintained using a preventative maintenance method with the best new parts each time. Receipts for all items can be provided. About 20 hours on the rebuilt head. Carb just rebuilt. Starts cold in just 2-3 kicks. 100% reliable bike as long as you turn the gas on.  Current CA Red sticker and original title.
      Expand above to see details
    • By bigg_stevee
      I recently replaced water pump and seal after I noticed that my '02 CRF450R was spilling coolant on easy trail rides. After the water pump swap (which was successful), I noticed the same problem. It's interesting - the bike only spits coolant (I mean a LOT of coolant) after passing anything above 1/2 throttle. The bike makes this weird 'gurgling' noise, like trying to suck through a straw when your glass is almost empty. This is weird because I properly bled/ burped the radiators with coolant, and filled them to normal operating levels. The coolant spills through overflow hose. 
      anyways - I swapped the radiator because I thought maybe the bike was running hot. I purchased oversized radiators, bought a 1.6 radiator cap (with a temp gauge) and bought engine ice. The bike runs very very cool - the temp gauge allows me to see this. Still, the bike shoots coolant out of the overflow after going above half throttle, making the same weird gurgling noise when it does. Bike has all of its power, top end was replaced not too long ago. 
      I'm lost and don't know what is wrong with the cooling system in my bike. How do I make the bike stop shooting out coolant, and stop making the weird gurgle noise??? Any advice would help me!!! Thank you!
    • By Mxer59
      I have a brand new Barnett Extra plate setup still in the box. It replaces the judder spring with a regular fiber. My old clutch had a judder spring break which wiped out the stock clutch. I was in a bind ordered this kit but it ended up coming 2 days later then it was suppose too. So now I don’t need it asking $180 SHIPPED 
      —“Complete Extra Plate Kit- consists of 8 Kevlar friction plates, 7 tempered steel plates and a set of springs. Provides maximum clutch capacity.”—