Sign in to follow this  

A liitle more power in reliable terms

I absolutely love the stock power of the 04 CRF450. I have just started riding on motocross tracks but am still a beginner.

I am about 30% MX tracks for fun

70% off-road: trails and desert

I am wanting to have RHC do some work for me but I don't want to sacrifice reliability. I am thinking of his rough port, valves and valve job,187 cam, and JE 12.5:1 piston kit.

Will this just slightly massage the stock power enough to be a little more and maybe a little easier to ride with similar reliability?

I maintain my bike religiously. Oil changes every ride, filter every two rides, and air filter every ride.

Thanks for any advice on the subject

If you are a beginner mx rider I'd suggest leaving the engine stock. More power will not help you improve your mx skills. If you are going to spend any money on the bike, get your suspension dialed in for your weight and skill level.

I'm a vet expert and my engine is bone stock and it will remain that way.

I agree completely! Until you're winning races week after week in the A class, you can't use all of a 450's power. I know I sure can't. Another way I like to look at it is...don't fix what isn't broken. :D

If you are a beginner mx rider I'd suggest leaving the engine stock. More power will not help you improve your mx skills. If you are going to spend any money on the bike, get your suspension dialed in for your weight and skill level.

This is very good advice :D .

You guys have seemed to have focused in on his 30% MX, keep in mind most of his riding is done in the desert.

Im considering the same thing, and am in email communciation with Ron getting everything set up. My current bike is a XR600 with a 660 big bore. IMHO you cant have too much power on the wide open desert trails we have here in AZ.

Rich

You guys have seemed to have focused in on his 30% MX, keep in mind most of his riding is done in the desert.

Im considering the same thing, and am in email communciation with Ron getting everything set up. My current bike is a XR600 with a 660 big bore. IMHO you cant have too much power on the wide open desert trails we have here in AZ.

Rich

Are you keeping the stock tranny ratio? How about gearing? That seems to be the biggest issue between track and trail IMHO. :D

If you want to go faster put in a baja designs wide ratio trans. kit and I would install their oil cooler too, that would help keep the heat down and the HP up on long desert and trail rides. Suspension helps too and I would consider a steering dampner. If you only do those mods you would actually gain reliability from lower temps.