Sign in to follow this  

Sprocket Brand Suggestions

Hey this is my first time getting replacements sprockets for a bike. I'd just like to know of some brands that have sprockets that might last longer, or brands to stay away from. Thanks.

Oh I forgot. If I get a new chain, should I got an X-ring or O-ring. I heard somewhere that X-rings are better for woods riding because they don't stretch or they are stronger or something of the sort.

An X-ring is an advancement over the O-ring, so I would say go with the X. As to sprockets, I ran Tag steel sprockets on my RM and the rear showed almost no wear even after the front and chain were showing significant signs of wear. The KTM is still new enough that the stock stuff is holding up good. When it comes time to replace them, I'm gonna go with the orange Renthal you can get from KTM 'cause its pretty. :D

an o ring or x ring chain is too much weight for a kx 100. just get a quality non o ring chain like a renthal, RK, Regina. IMO all the high end companies offer similar products, but I think the RK is supposed to stretch less. There's an add with Scott Summers and it says I don't like adjusting my chain, I think its RK. If it does stretch out, you can take out links (not on the stocker, too weak).

RK chains are garbage. get a DID X-ring chain, i believe X-rings have less friction than O-rings. Get Ironman sprockets, they will outlast the bike. I have a set on my WR400, I installed them when I got the bike a year ago, and they still look new.

yep.. i would go with renthals all around for racing. or iron man if your not on a budget. 0-ring and x-ring chains a quite a bit heavier than non o-ring chains, but if you want them to last for a long time go ahead with the x-ring chain and iron man sprockets.. youll never need any sprockets or chain again..lol

youll never need any sprockets or chain again..lol

Kind of what I'm looking for.

anyone know about sidewinder

I've heard bad things about the chains in the past. :D There's a thread regarding them somewhere around here...

Get Ironman sprockets, they will outlast the bike. I have a set on my WR400, I installed them when I got the bike a year ago, and they still look new.

I am getting ready to put a third set of Ironman sprockets on my 04 400exc. With their latest pricing I'm not sure that's the best way to go. The only reason I still have any is I got a deal on 4 sets. So far I've never got over 1100 miles on any set of Ironmans including a set I purchased for an XR400. The stock KTM sets lasted almost as long.

I just ordered a couple of sets of the KTM hardparts rear sprockets and Sprocket Specialties front sprockets. At less than half the cost of the Ironman I don't see how I can go wrong.

I agree though that the DID X-Ring chain is one tough mother. :D

Depends on how you ride and what your putting it on.

I bought a Renthal Aluminum once cost over $80.00 wore out so quick. :D

On my WR400 the last few years I have only used TITAX lazer cut Stainless Steel sprocket on the rear.DID Gold chain.

Usually last me a whole season. :D

I think Rocky Mountain is fazing them out though, cost around $59.00 a great deal for the way they last.

They had a special on them a while back, I think around $39.00.

I'll have to find another source.

Anyone else try them?

Hey this is my first time getting replacements sprockets for a bike. I'd just like to know of some brands that have sprockets that might last longer, or brands to stay away from. Thanks.

Sprocket's... Ironman SS for the rear and Renthal for the countershaft.