TDC, did I screw up??

Was pulling off the valve cover tonight to check the valves, had it on TDC, removed the cover and then pushed the bike forward (I thought it was in neutral!) and the T disappeared from the sight hole! I don't think the cam chain moved much, if at all, I had just removed the cover, the chain and follower were still in place. Can I just turn the piston back to TDC with the cover off? Or did I screw the timing up somehow? I know this is a stupid question, but this is the first time I have dug into the bike to check the valves, and the shop manual says bike must be on TDC before removing valve cover. Help!!

If you just removed the valve cover, you are ok. You did not have the cam chain tensioner out already, so the chain could not have jumped around. Put the bike up on a stand and get it back on TDC. You can turn the rear wheel by hand with it in gear to do it. When you get it back, put it in nuetral.good luck, and goodnight!

"the shop manual says bike must be on TDC before removing valve cover."----Yes I know it does but there is no reason for it. You want to be at TDC compression before you remove the cams but the cover is irrelevant. Unfortunately the manual was written by monkeys that could not read or write just parrot and a lot of it is wrong or irrelevant. Keep reading you will find a lot of funny stuff. What you will not see is the stuff they left out. I don't blame the monkeys as much as I do the lack of editing.

Ditto what Noble said. I have been doing my own valves for 20+ years, and the first time I read the "must be on TDC before removing the valve cover" thing in the manual it kinda freaked me out, because I couldn't figure out what the h*ll they were talking about. The cover is completely irrelevant. It is a Japanese-to-English translation thing.

"the shop manual says bike must be on TDC before removing valve cover."----Yes I know it does but there is no reason for it. You want to be at TDC compression before you remove the cams but the cover is irrelevant. Unfortunately the manual was written by monkeys that could not read or write just parrot and a lot of it is wrong or irrelevant. Keep reading you will find a lot of funny stuff. What you will not see is the stuff they left out. I don't blame the monkeys as much as I do the lack of editing.

That is very true...something gets lost in translation I think! You read a section and go :D:D You should make 'em an offer to edit and correct that puppy, Noble. :eek::D It is a help but mostly for diagrams, specs, etc.

Good to hear, thanks for the replies

Make sure the cam lobes are pointed away from each other( I think the manual shows the lobes pointing in ). Messed me up for a bit and wasted some time. If you have to reshim use some wire ties to keep the cam chain in position.