Sign in to follow this  

Just had to say it (06 CRF 250X)

Last weekend, I had a chance to try a CRF 250X for about 10 minutes in the NE woods. I am a 46 yo veteran of dirt bikes and did some enduro racing up until 5 years ago. Raced and rode a lot of KTM's from all the way to 1978 (in Europe at the time). I have had WR 250, KDX, KTM's 200, 250 and 380 (that bike kicked my arse, by the way) and so on.

Needles to say, I think the CRF 250X is the BEST off road bike for technical NE riding.....period !. Beats any KTM' WR's and so on.

So yesterday I bought and picked up an 06 CRF 250X !!!!! :D

Let the mods fever begin :D

Now I still have my 05 DRZ 400S........Street legal but what a pig. It is all setup for woods riding and overall is an excellent DS bike, but you only go at C speed. Try to be a B and the bike just does not remain safe. On the CRF, I am just flying like many years ago (just can't do it for hours anymore :D )

Honda built a winner here. By far. At B speeds, the bike is so flickable it will literally go around rocks and stumps just from looking at them...amazing.

A fine piece of woods machinery.

When am I going to ride that DRZ ?...not often :eek:

Phil

It is an awesome instrument for NE woods. :D Enjoy your new ride. Better throw on those rad/skid guards. IMO go w/ flatland.

Another 06? I just got my 05 last month. Should I have waited? Like Smoker said, go with the Flatland guards. The skid plate just slips on. The radiator guards look like they really protect. Do youself a favor and get 3/8" nylon spacers for the lower shroud bolt. It will make the re-assembly much less painfull.

Can we start to call Connecticut the CRF250X state? With the tight stuff and rocks I ride, it is awsome.

Can we start to call Connecticut the CRF250X state? With the tight stuff and rocks I ride, it is awsome.

I think X's are plentiful in most East Coast States. I actually know more people (7) in NJ with them.

Can someone please clarify this 06 X thing for me.

Lighter hubs?

Softer valve seats?

Did you get the digital speedo's?

In OZ they only released the 05 this month.

I have seen people taking deliver of 06 KTM's but the first honda's will be MXer's in a couple of months

Last weekend, I had a chance to try a CRF 250X for about 10 minutes in the NE woods. I am a 46 yo veteran of dirt bikes and did some enduro racing up until 5 years ago. Raced and rode a lot of KTM's from all the way to 1978 (in Europe at the time). I have had WR 250, KDX, KTM's 200, 250 and 380 (that bike kicked my arse, by the way) and so on.

Needles to say, I think the CRF 250X is the BEST off road bike for technical NE riding.....period !. Beats any KTM' WR's and so on.

So yesterday I bought and picked up an 06 CRF 250X !!!!! :D

Let the mods fever begin :D

Now I still have my 05 DRZ 400S........Street legal but what a pig. It is all setup for woods riding and overall is an excellent DS bike, but you only go at C speed. Try to be a B and the bike just does not remain safe. On the CRF, I am just flying like many years ago (just can't do it for hours anymore :eek: )

Honda built a winner here. By far. At B speeds, the bike is so flickable it will literally go around rocks and stumps just from looking at them...amazing.

A fine piece of woods machinery.

When am I going to ride that DRZ ?...not often :eek:

Phil

Great to here you are happy with your new X. I purchase one back in Feb to this day I have no problems. :D I also came off the DRZ tank, I think its funny when people praise their DRZ. One day they will See the deferents.

CT CRF's?.. we might have to start a organization

we can be a outlie of CT Jeep and EAst Coast K5

I also came off a DRZ, don't get me wrong, the engine is buit proof, but beyond that the CRF is a world of difference, lighter, and quite frankly, with the right mods probably has at leasst the same power or more.

I believe the 06 is almost the same bike. Valve seat material was changed, front wheel moved in a touch to aid in turning, and I think it got the 250R swing arm. Otherwise the exact same.

POsner

Here is my 06 setup (just finished today)

JD kit: red needle, 5th clip

160 main

42 pilot

70 leak jet

Pink wire

Open airbox

Pro Moto rear disk guard

Flatland rad guards & skid plate

Enduro Eng. hand guards

Koobalink extended fuel screw 2 turns out

Street legal registration in CT

I too went from a DRZ to a CRF-X. I liken it to going from a beach cruisier to a bmx bike.

Quick question, can you tell me if the '06 head will fit the '04? I deperately need a solution for my valve problem. Also, are parts available for the '06 yet?

Nicholas

Never realized there were so many people from CT with CRFs. Like someone said, maybe we should start an organization.

Ride Thomaston and I will go into MA up route 8 into the Berkshire area by Tucker's restaurant.

I guess parts must be available for 06 since we are dealing with Honda and the bikes are in the dealerships already.

We ride at Tuckers once in a while, there's a turkey run there soon too. Ever do the big climb just down the street on the same side?

You should try Pachaug also.

Here is my 06 setup (just finished today)

JD kit: red needle, 5th clip

160 main

42 pilot

70 leak jet

Pink wire

Open airbox

Pro Moto rear disk guard

Flatland rad guards & skid plate

Enduro Eng. hand guards

Koobalink extended fuel screw 2 turns out

Street legal registration in CT

Any tips on registering your X in Connecticut?