Sign in to follow this  

(Missing) Greasing nipples on S rear swing?

I found something odd on the rear swing of my 2003 DR-Z 400 S, which I just recently bought. It was a shelf warmer for about 2 years and I am the first owner.

Until now I understood, that the E has grease nipples and the S doesn't. Before washing mine after the first ride on gravel tracks I took a look under the rear fender to see if there is something I had to pick out manually. What I found was an open thread in the middle of the swing:

20050813-104104.jpg

Now intrigued, I took a look around and found another one (neither easy to spot and take a picture of):

20050813-104320.jpg

There are other points where grease nipples seem intended to be put in, but without a thread. Comparing the 2003 E of a friend with my S confirmed this.

Now a couple of questions arise:

Has any other S rider ever seen these threads on the swing of his S?

Has one of the japanese workers have a lapse of reason in thinking he is making a swing for an E, realized that he needed one for a S and stopped halfway drilling the threads into the swing?

What now? I am anxious that already dirt might have come into the swing and the bearings.

Hans

good catch, just walked out and looked at mine, i had never noticed before but i have what appears to be thin metal plugs covering the holes in the nipple locations, but I ain't popping them off to confirm if they are threaded

I found something odd on the rear swing of my 2003 DR-Z 400 S, which I just recently bought. It was a shelf warmer for about 2 years and I am the first owner.

Until now I understood, that the E has grease nipples and the S doesn't. Before washing mine after the first ride on gravel tracks I took a look under the rear fender to see if there is something I had to pick out manually. What I found was an open thread in the middle of the swing:

20050813-104104.jpg

Now intrigued, I took a look around and found another one (neither easy to spot and take a picture of):

20050813-104320.jpg

There are other points where grease nipples seem intended to be put in, but without a thread. Comparing the 2003 E of a friend with my S confirmed this.

Now a couple of questions arise:

Has any other S rider ever seen these threads on the swing of his S?

Has one of the japanese workers have a lapse of reason in thinking he is making a swing for an E, realized that he needed one for a S and stopped halfway drilling the threads into the swing?

What now? I am anxious that already dirt might have come into the swing and the bearings.

Hans

Andrew (OSITECH) pointed this out to me last weekend. Apparently there is a thread on this a year or so ago. You have to remove the swing arm to grease it. I guess mother suzuki screwed the pooch on this design. (my opinion)... am not looking forward to a major bike teardown just to perform a maintenance procedure. Theres also another area to grease, that doesn't have a fitting. The frame portion/stem the frontend connect to needs a one time shot of grease too to prevent rust.

Someone posted a step by step on how to install grease nipples on swingarm and steering bearings...dont remember the link though :D

The grease zerks on the E dont even get enuf grease to the spots its needed.

Just bite the bullet and tear her down and show her some love!

You will thank me later when ya dont have to press out all your bearings and replace em (don't ask me how I know this!!!)!!! Easy weekend job for a 1st timer...couple hour job once ya done it a time or two!

Soon your bike will look like this a couple of times a year

stripped-tt.jpg

Andrew (OSITECH) pointed this out to me last weekend. Apparently there is a thread on this a year or so ago. You have to remove the swing arm to grease it. I guess mother suzuki screwed the pooch on this design. (my opinion)... am not looking forward to a major bike teardown just to perform a maintenance procedure. Theres also another area to grease, that doesn't have a fitting. The frame portion/stem the frontend connect to needs a one time shot of grease too to prevent rust.

The E needs to be torn down at least once a year to properly lube the rear suspension.....

The S needs to be torn down at least once a year to properly lube the rear suspension.....

Notice a pattern?

My "S" (shoulda bought an E !!!! :D ) has the casting marks where the grease zerk should be, but hasnever been drilled or threaded for the zerk.

Soon your bike will look like this a couple of times a year

stripped-tt.jpg

10guy,

Mine will never look like that, my rad guards are Blue.

But as for the rest of it, yeah I'm getting there.

Let me see, on order from TT

Unabikers, Hot Cams x2, shim set, CFC's. And from E-bay an Exhaust system.

Sitting on the side is oil for the forks, and grease for the head races and s/arm.

Now a carb might be nice :D:D

oldmanb777, my "S" also has the mark's in the casting, but no holes.

Neil.

:D