Sign in to follow this  

2006 Yamaha Suspension

Did you guys see the video on TWMX about the YZ250? Mike Young rode the 06 and said the suspension sucks. I hope he's wrong or that every model has a different suspension. I want an 06 250f but I want good suspension. He said it felt very rigid. That's typical KYB.

funny how they liked the 125 so much with the same stuff.

http://www.transworldmotocross.com/mx/features/article/0,13190,1085537,00.html

Same Micheal Young states "really good, really plush" on the suspension.

So he says it both ways. Most likely the 250's forks oil level was off or the clickers needed some work.

that i noticed that too. o well the only way to find out is to ride one your self i guess.

Yeah,

it is interesting that he said the 125 handled awesome and the 250 didnt as matt pointed out. Something is off somewhere.

That's why they test ride them. It will never make to market in with that setup. The bike will continue to be refined until the majority of the polled "focus groups" agree that it is awesome.

RH

wasn't that the two strokes? that 250f better not have suspension problems :D

That's why they test ride them. It will never make to market in with that setup. The bike will continue to be refined until the majority of the polled "focus groups" agree that it is awesome.

RH

So their going to mess around with the hundred of thousands of bikes to make them all perfect?

I hope its just the fork oil. I'm looking foward to my yellow bike :D

Listen guys one thing about the 05's was when the bike is new. The suspension was super stiff. I mean bone jarring stiff. It loosened up a lot, especially the rear. This is just a observation.

Erik

and yet the guys at RacerX said the new YZ250 smoker was WAY WAY WAY better than last years shootout winner just because the forks were so much better.

odd to say the least.

A 125? Is that something new? I was not aware that there were other bikes but the 250f? I mean they have a perfect bike so why build other models?

Last year evertbody said the same thing. Everybody like the plush feel of the 125 fork, but most tests I read said the 250 had more harshness over small hack than the 125. Don't be too concerned with what any mag says about yz suspension, just reduce compression if it's too stiff. I ride a ktm and even it is plush if you use the right settings. Also, I have seen michael young race in the bounty hunter sx series. he runs with the top guys in the 250 class (Blair brothers, Holland, Turbo Reif) The guy runs a crf 450 with big mods including revalved suspension. It's amazing to me he likes any stock suspension.

For 05 the YZ250 is the only bike that got a different fork setup. All other YZs got the same fork.

For 05 the YZ250 is the only bike that got a different fork setup. All other YZs got the same fork.

All the 2005's got the new air oil seperate fork. Now they all have sss forks. :D

Yea but the YZ250 has a passive bleed by system that the other bikes did not get. Basically KYB drilled holes in the side of the piston. The 250 suspension was definitly plusher than the rest of the bikes.

I would'nt put to much stock into what the moto rags print in thier test. There are so many variables that play into this , rider weight, track conditions, riding style, etc... everybody has their own opinion of what a good suspension is (rider preference) i would'nt read to much into this. Ride one for your self and see. After all these are the same rags that pick honda as their shoot out winners every year :D

One thing I noticed on my 05 YZ250 was the suspension breaks in a lot. It will can much softer after a couple of rides. I hated the way the back end felt initially but it loosened up pretty quick. i also had good results loosening the high speed compression about a 1/6 of a turn to help it settle. I had no idea the yz250 had a different fork setup than the rest of the bikes with the passive bleed.

Erik

Take it from someone who just got both the 125 & 250 on saturday and rode them yesterday dude's on crack! I'm only 135lbs I felt no such stiffness the suspenion was getting better the more time I put on them. They felt pretty damn balanced and plush to me! I put his whiny can't tell you why it's stiff comment into the category of someone who doesn't like the way aluminum frames feel. He made comment on the 125 test was that he didn't even ride the '05! I think racerX is more spot on to what my reaction to the bike was.

I have a 2006 YZ250, and at first it was very stiff. I am a trail rider btw. I loosened them up a little bit, and no it feels much better. They do have a lot of headshake though. I just ordered a GPR steering stabilizer. I am pleased with the bike, but my old 05 CRF250R had way better suspension imho, but I only have 6 hours on the yami.

They do have a lot of headshake though. I just ordered a GPR steering stabilizer. QUOTE]

check your sag often. the only times I've gotten headshake is when my sag was under 92mm's. As the suspension loosen's the sag changes.