Left side engine case changing.

Anyone change the left case?

Any tricks? Do you have to strip down the clutch side in order to change the left case?

Just curious as I may end up tearing it down and changing the crank bearings also :D

I noticed the piston had some light marks from the valves getting super close and kissing it. I think the crank bearings have seen better days. With my luck Junior stretched the rod :D

anyone want to buy some Gremlins and I will throw in the bike for free... :D

I changed mine before. It's been quite a while but IIRC you can leave the gearshift drum and #11 & 2. Don't forget to remove the trans oil drain bolt because it holds the case together too. It's actually a very easy job to do and the cases split like butter. The worst part is taking everything apart to get the motor out.

clutch.jpg

Junior tore it down so I pulled the motor out but I will leave the Head off of it to reinsatll. It is way too tight for me.

Thanks.

It is smoking hot in the garage today so I may just table the splitting to later after the sun goes down.

That's right too, I did leave the head off on mine to install the motor.

I left everything in the right case (trans, crank) and just slid the left case off.

Will you do me a favor and take some pics? I might end up changing out my case when I do a top end at the end of the season.

Well I got it apart. I will click a few pics on Monday.

Racing tomorrow (on the KTM) :D The orange machine has been stable atleast. :D

You can leave the clutch and trans together but You do have to remove the clutch/waterpump side cover housing, then take off the counterbalance drive nut and gears. Reassemblly is going to be fun as the balancer has timing marks.

Was pretty easy. Now I have to get a few more bearings and a seal. I do not want to chance pulling them out of the old case. A few bearing are a wonderful blue color also.. this bike was run a few times without coolant and only a few ounces a oil in the trans... :eek: The Gremlins did it I swear. :D

How hard of a job do you think it was? I need to replace my left side case and I have all the parts. Do you think a 15 year old is capable of doing this with the help of a Factory Service manual? Any advice would be apreciated.

How hard of a job do you think it was? I need to replace my left side case and I have all the parts. Do you think a 15 year old is capable of doing this with the help of a Factory Service manual? Any advice would be apreciated.

Go for it, just thinking you can do it is a plus. :D

Pulling the motor out is harder.

Get all the bearings and seals for the left side also. It comes with a few but alot are missimg

which valves were touching the piston?

which valves were touching the piston?

Intake, very light kisses, I will try to get a photo up tonight. The valves are seated perfectly still and the cam timing is still spot on.

cam chain tensioner isnt holding.

cam chain tensioner isnt holding.

It does have alot of time on it, I will get a new one for insurance

I need to replace the gasket sealing the shifter side engine case with the center case. I think you guys were talking about the water pump side. Can't I just pull it off, and slide the seal in and button her up? Thanks.