asheville NC

i was wondering if there would be enough interested people in the area to form a club and lease a few hundred acres to ride in the area. everywhere we ride is over an hour away. 2 hrs for us :D

You know I'm in. :D( me and Michael both)

I know i would be interested . :D

well lets start looking for land. south to fairview is pretty rural,leicester,weaverville,any of the outside towns would do,can't be in city limits because of noise ordinances. farm land is not that expensive to lease as long as the owners are co-operative with the cause it shouldn't be too hard :D i've seen 100 acres lease for $500 a year in madison cty. it's probably more closer to asheville. if we could get 2-300 acres for $2k a yr for say a 5 yr lease it would be worth the effort for 10-15 of us to go in. alot of paper mill property is just sitting waiting for trees to grow out towards canton maybe we could work a deal with them?

Liability issues will be your main hurdle. If you can get past that, you should be good to go.

if we could lease from a corporation they are just about liability free.

I know I'm a little S of you guys, but I would be interested, depending on where and how much. I have NOWHERE to ride less than 1.5 hours away. If you found something on the S side of Asheville, it'd only be about an hour, and I'd be EXTREMELY interested :D:D:D !!!

I have NOWHERE to ride less than 1.5 hours away.

Aren't you signed up at Walnut Grove Ryan? That should only be 45min for you.

Yeah that isn't bad, but nobody around here will ride there w/ me, and I'm not about ot go out there by myself. I REALLY try to ride w/ my sons, not w/o them, and I can't take them out there. Cody would probably do OK on the 90, but I dont' know if they'd let him out there or not. I know he's have trouble on a couple of creek crossings, but I KNOW he'd love it!!!

does anyone have a decent attorney thats familiar with such things? might be good to have legal representation first.

What ever happened to that private riding area over near Canton? Maybe those guys would know how to set one of these up :D I was a member back in 1994 I think I got the info over at Strick's.

I would really be interested in doing something like this, just a soon as I get another bike :D

What ever happened to that private riding area over near Canton? Maybe those guys would know how to set one of these up :D I was a member back in 1994 I think I got the info over at Strick's.

I would really be interested in doing something like this, just a soon as I get another bike :D

i'll be in town weds,i'll stop into stricks and ask. see if you can figure out contact with whoever ran the show in canton. i've got just the bike for ya,04wr450.....cheap!

i'll be in town weds,i'll stop into stricks and ask. see if you can figure out contact with whoever ran the show in canton. i've got just the bike for ya,04wr450.....cheap!

I saw that you are selling your bike, I might just have to check it out. The price sure seems right. I really wanted to get something that would be easy to slip by the DMV and dual sport for dirt roads near my house. I was thinking something like a KTM 525. It would be a lot more expensive though and I have never owned a euro bike before.

Have you had any bites on yours? I would like to check it out. My wife says I have to pay off the credit card first though :D

i'm pretty sure that if you meet the requirements and pass inspection you can get an offroad vehicle titled here :D or if all else fails you can get it titled in a state that allows it and register there then transfer it here(or just ride with outa state tags.

does anyone have a decent attorney thats familiar with such things? might be good to have legal representation first.

I tried this about 10 years ago for Michael and all his buddies and came up short Bob. If it wasn't for the liability issue then it was the bad rap us "motorcycle gangs" seem to have earned unfairly. Our best chance will be to find a land owner that's not only an enthusist but also OK with having a waiver type agreement. That's exactly what the owner has going at Walnut Grove and it works for him. But I'll put the word out at the local bike shops anyway and see what comes up. You never know, someone else might already be in this process and just need more people to help it along. Oh and that place in Canton was the same property that the owners attemped to turn into a racetrack for stockcars (when Asheville speedway was closed) and it got shut down before it ever left the ground. The sign's still there but I've seen no activity for years.

I would like to put my name in. I almost always ride with my 9 year old. Would it be close to south Charlotte?

I saw this work in Maryland at a campground. It had a small lake. The owner was looking for more revenue so dirt bike trails were cut. We did a membership thing, the owner already had liability. When we rode we signed a waiver. It worked out great for everyone. I see a broken down campground near Fort Mill SC. I will stop in but I doubt it will be available. There are building like crazy around here so I am sure it looks abanded because it has been purchased for development. Anyone know of any campgrounds owners we can talk to? Fred

My buddies up in Wisconsin did this on 300 acres. They ended up calling it a ski club. They use the land for skiing, cook outs, swimming and they even have a club house. The key is that as all members are owners of the club they really cant sue the company. Having the ski club designation made it easier to get insurance and members are free to use the property as they wanted for family fun. :D

My buddies up in Wisconsin did this on 300 acres. They ended up calling it a ski club. They use the land for skiing, cook outs, swimming and they even have a club house. The key is that as all members are owners of the club they really cant sue the company. Having the ski club designation made it easier to get insurance and members are free to use the property as they wanted for family fun. :D

I like this idea. Maybe a lake with a cook shelter, a skeet range...the kind of county club I would like to join :D

I like this idea. Maybe a lake with a cook shelter, a skeet range...the kind of county club I would like to join :D

maybe a frog pond and tarp tent would more likely be in my price range! i like the idea if you can't beat'em get around'em, but to purchase the property would take more people unless of course someone just happens to be independantly wealthy and would like to front the project :D