Sign in to follow this  

Front Suspension advice needed

I have '03 KLX300. I'm 5'11", 200lbs. I have made all free mods and installed Dynojet. Everything else is Stock. Mostly ride trails but got on a MX track yesterday and bottomed out suspension on some jumps. I noticed Oil leaking at front forks. My buddy said I blew out a seal.

I have read all the post about changing the stock spings and went on Race Tech and calculated that I need 44 spring. I also read some step by step instructions on how to replace. I'm thinking of giving it a try. I don't want to pay high labor rates to shop or wait 3 weeks for bike, therefore I want to try to replace myself.

Here is my question: 1. Besides the new springs and fork seals, is there anything else I need to buy? special tools? Fork Oil?

2. Can I leave the forks on to replce the seals, oil and spring? I noticed most leave the forks on bike when just replacing springs. 3. I am handy with tools but a bike newbie thus novice bike mechanic. Is this over my head?

Good timing tuhge, I just finished upgrading my suspension last week. I went with .44 springs from race-tech as well as a gold valve kit. Let me answers you questions.

1. The only special tool you will need is a 30mm socket for the nut on the top of your fork (you might get away with an adjustable wrench). You should also have a torque wrench. If you change the seals you will need new fork oil. You may also need some 400 grit sandpaper. It may be the hard landing that blue your seal but it may also be a nick in the lower fork tube that cut the seal as the fork moves up and down. You need to feel the entire surface of the fork to check for nicks if you find one sand it until its smooth. This nick can come from hitting a rock or falling, etc. etc.

2. I think it is best to take the forks off to change the seals. I don't think you even do it with them on. You should have a bench vice for seperating the upper and lower forks to get at the seals.

3. You are not over your head!

In addition to springs, seals, and fork oil. You need to check the bushings for wear. Its easy to see if the tephlon coating is rubbed off. You may need to replace them.

You should try to find the race-tech video for forks, I think they sell it on their website for $20 its worth it, walks through all steps! Let me know if you need any additional info.

I'm glad to help

Most likely, you didn't "blow" the fork seals. Very often, a bit of crud gets between the seal and the fork tube allowing fork oil to pass. Get an old photograph negative and run it between the seal and the fork, trying to dislodge any crud.

Loosen the two bolts on the top tripple clamp before trying to remove the fork cap.

The trickiest part of replacing the springs is holding the fork rod up while trying to install the fork cap on the fork rod.

Ride on

Brewster

Most likely, you didn't "blow" the fork seals. Very often, a bit of crud gets between the seal and the fork tube allowing fork oil to pass. Get an old photograph negative and run it between the seal and the fork, trying to dislodge any crud.

Loosen the two bolts on the top tripple clamp before trying to remove the fork cap.

The trickiest part of replacing the springs is holding the fork rod up while trying to install the fork cap on the fork rod.

Ride on

Brewster

I don't understand....why do you need to loosen the two bolts on the tripple clamp before removing the for cap?

As for spring replacement, I used a pair of pliers to hold the rod up, and screwed the spring off and on. Just put the pliers through an opening from the side of the spring and grab the rod, then screw the old spring off. Do the same when installing the new one. Hold the rod with your hand, and drop the spring down, then place the pliers through an opening from the side of the spring and screw it on.

I don't understand....why do you need to loosen the two bolts on the tripple clamp before removing the for cap?

The top tripple clamp can squeeze the top of the fork tube enough to bind on the fork cap.

Ride on

Brewster