Sign in to follow this  

The DRZ400SM

It's an absolute blast. If you get one, read about the 3x3 mod and DJ kit on the forums.

I got one Wed to substitute my '84 RZ350.

I warmed it up and rolled it onto the street. I snaped it into 1st gear, and wacked the trottle, hoping for a nice wheelie. I was greatly disappointed. I later learned they had to choke a lot of things to pass emissions. I don't regret buying the bike, I'm just on this site hoping to find the most cost efficient way to get the bike to the point were I can throttle wheelie, without having to gear it down.

I got one Wed to substitute my '84 RZ350. I don't regret buying the bike, I'm just on this site hoping to find the most cost efficient way to get the bike to the point were I can throttle wheelie, without having to gear it down.

Maybe you should get what I currently have, a ZRX1200. :D

I also have a ZRX 1200 S in the UK... There really is a lot of difference in the 2 bikes. I can wheelie with the throttle in the first 3 gears on my ZRX...

I got one Wed to substitute my '84 RZ350.

I warmed it up and rolled it onto the street. I snaped it into 1st gear, and wacked the trottle, hoping for a nice wheelie. I was greatly disappointed. I later learned they had to choke a lot of things to pass emissions. I don't regret buying the bike, I'm just on this site hoping to find the most cost efficient way to get the bike to the point were I can throttle wheelie, without having to gear it down.

Even in stock trim,, If you can not get the front end up in first gear with just throttle...... I'd have to ask why not????? I've now had a chance to ride the '05 SM,,,,, no problems at all getting the front wheel up.. Felt just like an S,, underpowered for sure, but ridable.

Open the air box, jet it correctly... You'll get better throttle response and some additional power.

After that,, sky's the limit on mod's.

Cams

Carb

Big Bore

Stroker

All of the above :D

I am liking this bike the more and more I look at it. Looks like it would be a blast. :D

I just parted with my 03RC51 and 2002 Big Dog Husky and picked up an SM. It is an absolute blast to ride. I've been riding a very twisty undeveloped neighborhood across the street from my neighborhood and I can't remember when I had so much fun (if you have RR boots I would look into a pair with replaceable soles, I am smoking the outside bottoms of my Alpinestars!). It all matters on what kind of riding you are looking at doing. Good luck! :D