Sign in to follow this  

05 CRF450...possible tensioner noise???

On my 2005 CRF450...when I rap the motor while in the pits or when I'm getting off the throttle I get metal to metal sound similar to aluminum vibrating against a solid surface. It's done this for approximately 5-6 rides. My guess is the chain tensioner in the motor is hung....anyone have any ideas?

did u take the proper time to break the motor inbecause if you were reving it to high you could have worn inside engine parts from not allowing the to line up correctly

Actually your supposed to break it in hard, just not rev-limiter hard. Ok that noise can be numerous things. If your riding the bike and hear the sound, how can you be so sure its coming from the motor? First off, I would check the slack in your chain, if its just a tad bit loose it could be slapping the inside of the fram cauing that "metal to metal" sound. If you chain checks out , then on to the next step. Every one on here that just bought there bike gets worried because there hear a noise coming from inside the engine. Your bike makes a distinctive "chugga chugga chugga" noise, and thats normal. If thats the sound your hearing, then no worries.

That too lol. Just take off the bolt and stick a small screw driver in there and make sure its turned out all the way counter clockwise.

Could be the plate on the carb slide rattling. This is normal for those type carbs.

Good call on the skidplate....the very end section had an "RCH" of clearance and when the motor wound up it gave it a vicious twitch and caused it to rub thr frame.

Good call on the skidplate....the very end section had an "RCH" of clearance and when the motor wound up it gave it a vicious twitch and caused it to rub thr frame.

I cut a rubber strip for each side from an old inner tube and siliconed it to the skid plate where it meets the frame. No more rattle.

Do you have a glide or skid plate? if so it is probably related to the noise that you hear.cheers

yes wingman , you are correct !

halfster came over to the shop yesterday and he showed me the noise ,

and i must say out of the couple dozzen or so of these i have heard do this,

his was the strangest one.

i mean it really sounded like the chain tensioner was backing up and letting the chain flop in the motor :D

i was able to crawl around this ( factory works honda 450, i mean the thing is a work of art its got all the real $hit, hubs, wheels, suspension,brakes,lines ,exhaust , clamps, and more !!)

and the temp was just right , and halfster could just get it to do it consistently enough that i was able to grab everthing ,---and sure enough it was the plate .

thank god for small favors :D:D