Sign in to follow this  

87' xr250 won't start

I got my stuff together and got the 250 running.

It was hard to start if you could, and had no chain or sprockets as it barfed them up one day riding. I got some new ones and putem on and it was lookin good. Then I changed the oil cleaned the carb (blew the jets out with compressed air and cleaned it in carb cleanah.), and cleaned the airfilter. I emptied the tank as the gas had sat for awhile and put some new gas in it. So I kicked it over and it refused to start. It didn't sound like it was getting spark, so we sprayed some ether into the carb and it started right up. We rode it around for a while and took abreak to change the grips and bars. After we got done with that, we rode it again for a while. My nieghbor went to dinner and I was riding it home when, turning into my drive way it started backfiring and popping and died. I tried to start it again and it would not. I even tried pop starting it. I have no more ether so I sol in that department. Any idears ?

I have lots of ideas.

First, stop using ether to start it.

Second, clean the carb again, flush the tank out, remove petcock and clean it.

Third, put a small inline fuel filter between the petcock and carb.

Also, clean the air filter and wipe the airbox boot to carb cleanChange spark plug.

You might have put the jets in wrong while cleaning to carb, make sure your settings are right

I have lots of ideas.

First, stop using ether to start it.

Second, clean the carb again, flush the tank out, remove petcock and clean it.

Third, put a small inline fuel filter between the petcock and carb.

Also, clean the air filter and wipe the airbox boot to carb cleanChange spark plug.

First, why is starting fluid bad ?

Second what should I flush the tank out with ?

Garden hose flush it out and let it thoroughly dry you don't want an abudance of H2O in the fuel, dry with a small rag, there a smal filter above the petcock get that out and clean also change plug, a fresh plug can work wonders.

Ether is a good way to bend a rod, quick. Especially 2 stroke.

I flushed out the tank and cleaned the carb again. I put it all together and it still didn't start. I then blew compressed air through the petcock, and voila, she runs. Thanks.