New here ,have TW200

• 2 weeks later...

One benifit that I was not really aware of when I bought my TW's is the fact that they are very easy on the environment. With such a large light footprint and moderate power they dont tear up the trails like the big bores do. Let alone the quads. They are also so quiet that I have almost hit more than a few deer :banghead: that didn't hear me coming. The only time I miss my WR450 is when I need to look cool and try to impress someone that I don't know. At 50 I'm getting past that and my riding now is only to please myself.

One benifit that I was not really aware of when I bought my TW's is the fact that they are very easy on the environment. With such a large light footprint and moderate power they dont tear up the trails like the big bores do. Let alone the quads. They are also so quiet that I have almost hit more than a few deer :banghead: that didn't hear me coming. The only time I miss my WR450 is when I need to look cool and try to impress someone that I don't know. At 50 I'm getting past that and my riding now is only to please myself.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Wow what a story!You will always remember that and each time you look at that bike it will bring up good memories.These small dual purpose bikes are great for people who dont need lots of motorcycle.There is always something bigger and faster,but it would be hard if not impossible for a larger bike to do what your little TW did.I find it funny when any one knocks something because it is so user friendly,its like they think they have to have a big bike to make them feel good or look good.I have a Cessna 152,its probably the best trainer ever made.I find it funny when people make fun of it because it isn't fast or flashy.The main thing is to get out and ride and create memories that will be with you and the ones you love for a life time.I learned a long time ago to keep things like the TW and my little Cessna and not sell them off when you dint use them as much as you once did.My sons first bike was a Suzuki JR50,he is almost too big for it now ,but I will keep it until he is grown and give it back to him then.I am willing to bet it will mean as much or more to him then as it did when he got it for Christmas one year.Have you seen that Honda commercial where the whole family was riding together ?It said they were creating memories together,how cool is that.When I am gone and my son is grown he will look at the little JR and remember the times we had while I was teaching him to ride.Its a 2001 model and I could maybe get 5-600 dollars for it,but I am at a time in my life I realize ,it to me and later my son is worth 10 times that much.

Very well said. I have as much fun with my old XT as I do the new DRZ. Makin' memories.

Do any of you know any mods for the TW200? I am considering purchasing a new one in a month or so and I would like more information on them. Mine will be use mostly for dirt, trail riding.

I am sure there are things you can do to make the bike run better but that would only mess up what the bike is.Its not fast and doesn't have the best suspension.But it is VERY easy to ride and is a mountain goat on the trails and is very quiet.I guess the best mods are things like a rear rack and hand guards.Just get it and ride.They are also very reliable. Oh and by the way you will be very pleased with your purchase!:banghead:

Hondamaint, glad your enjoying your TW200. First of all there is no such thing as a "girls bike". Girls bikes dont have top tubes!!! :banghead: Im riding a 05 TTR 230 , mainly because my 2004 CR 125 was stolen from me after only having it 3 weeks, brand new. Important good locks!!! The Kryptonite key locks that you can lock on the disk or back sproket can save your bike. The tweaker thief cut two locks, and just rolled it away. I could'nt afford to replace my 2 smoke with another one after it got stolen. I ride trails anyways, but i am like you going to get a dual sport. Don't worry about what people say about the kind of bike you ride. Most of the people degrading others choice of bikes, are MM wanabee types anyways. I used to have a XT 350 yamaha, and am really bummed they only make a 200 and a 225. Im thinking of Honda 650, but damn, 342 pounds?? Plus your saving a ton of gas dude :banghead:

Hondamaint, glad your enjoying your TW200. First of all there is no such thing as a "girls bike". Girls bikes dont have top tubes!!! :banghead: Im riding a 05 TTR 230 , mainly because my 2004 CR 125 was stolen from me after only having it 3 weeks, brand new. Important good locks!!! The Kryptonite key locks that you can lock on the disk or back sproket can save your bike. The tweaker thief cut two locks, and just rolled it away. I could'nt afford to replace my 2 smoke with another one after it got stolen. I ride trails anyways, but i am like you going to get a dual sport. Don't worry about what people say about the kind of bike you ride. Most of the people degrading others choice of bikes, are MM wanabee types anyways. I used to have a XT 350 yamaha, and am really bummed they only make a 200 and a 225. Im thinking of Honda 650, but damn, 342 pounds?? Plus your saving a ton of gas dude :banghead:

Yeah ,who cares what people think.Just ride and have fun.I went riding yesterday on my RM125 with a friend on a YZ250F,had a great time .But there were times I was wishing for my little TW.How capable a bike is depends mostly on the rider.After riding (for the first time )with my buddy I see that I am faster than him.Its funny,when we were going to load up to go he asked my"your not going to ride the Yamaha are you?"Now that I know I am faster I think next time I will ride the TW just for fun.Most of the trails we ride on are kinda tight and it does fine on it.I ordered a windshield(small) that should be here today to help on the interstate.5200 miles (4300)since July and only done 1 valve adjustment,changed oil,cleaned filter,replaced CDI,and adjusted chain.I wonder how many miles you can get out of one of these motors?

After making numerous phone calls to 8 different dealers I have found only 2 TW200's. Both new and on the showroom floor for some time. A 2004 and a 2005 and I think they are both the same color Gray/Black and both dealers are asking $3,200 and I'm sure the price is negotiable as they want to get them out the door. Most dealers said they don't even carry the TW200 as they never sell and it seems only the smaller dealers way out in the sticks seem to have them and sell them. So im considering the 2005 as long as the price is right. If the dealer will eat the setup fee and 1/2 of the destination fee then I will pay the 3,200 and be happy and purchase the bike. Anyone have any tips on getting the best price that is both fair to the dealer and myself?

• 4 weeks later...

Stoked dude, great bike :applause: Have you adjusted the valves yet? I just picked up a XT225 and wondered when to adjust valves. The book with bike says 600 miles and then 4000 after that. I know my TTR 225 valves got tight after a couple of months, and had them adjusted. Some people say every 1000 miles, no way am i going to do that. Trying to get up the courage to take it on the freeway, but alot of fast moving truck drivers wont even move over for cars. I get passed on 2 lane roads out here when im going the speed limit,,,,i guess cause the bikes look small. Got it up to 75 today, a little scary :ride: The manual says only one third throttle for like 1000 miles on break-in. How many people really do this? One dude on here said he rode home after he bought one 90 miles on the freeway. That ain't 1/3 throttle for sure. I guess the closer you are to the road, more sensation of speed. The thing i worry about the most is a stray dog, or giant jackrabbit darting out in front of me. In the high desert of cali, losts of both. There are packs of wild dogs out here(pit bulls and mixes) that the kind people of orange county abandonded here or got away from the owner.

pick up a manual off ebay or amazon and learn how to do your valves its easy. Its also good to get those rings seated in right by using some high rpm. Dont do that 1/3 throttle for too long.

Agreed 1/3 throttle for 1000 miles is a bit extreme.Had almost 20 new bikes in my life time and never used the 1/3 throttle thing.Get a few miles on it 1-200 and then just ride it like you will the rest of the time.Here is a site for you http://www.xt225.com/ .This may help some.In 6000 miles I have checked and twice and adjusted once my valves.Just remember to change the oil to a good oil as soon as you can.I change my oil every 500 miles.Be careful on the road and have a good time.

• 3 weeks later...