Timing procedure for 1983 xr 100

:D Can anyone help? I just put new gaskets in my sons 1983 xr 100 and I need help with the timing. I thought I had it but it won't even turn fire. Can some one explain the timing marks on the top sprocket and the fly wheel and how to time it. Thanks

First turn the flywheel so that the T mark on the flywheel lines up with the pointer on the case behind the flywheel. It looks like an arrow. With the cam shaft lobes pointed down and the bolt holes level with the top of the cylinder head install the cam sprocket with the O mark at the 12 O'Clock position with the O facing out. You will need to do this with no tension on the cam chain from the tensioners. Use a Small dab of red loctite on each cam sprocket bolt, however those two bolts are different and I don't recall which goes where. One is hardened the other not. Do a search the info is on the forum. Torque the bolts and set the valve clearance while you are at it.

Do you have a repair manual for the bike? Clymer's is a good one. If so read that over a bit and make sure all of the parts are in the condition and position they should be.

A manual is very helpfull/necessary if you have not done this before. Provided you do as listed above and have spark, gas, and compression it will fire. Have a little faith. You have to do it wrong a couple of times to appreciate getting it right :D