Sign in to follow this  

The top speed of the CRF150/230F

:confused: Of course it has to do with rider weight. with a lighter rider you can go faster because it will be easier to pull.

^No it doesn't. As long as the engine as enough power to reach its maximum RPM, the bike will have the same top speed.

For example, if you put a 100 pound rider on a 2005 YZ250f, it will go about 70 mph on the rev limiter. Put a 300 pound rider on the bike, and it still has enough power to reach 13000 RPM in 5th gear, so it will still go 70 mph. Now, put an elephant on the bike, and it won't have enough horsepower to overcome the drag and mechanical friction.

So it only has to do with weight once the machine is geared or areodynamically designed in such a way that drag and mechanical efficiency play a major role on whether or not the bike is capable of reaching peak RPM in top gear (basically, you gear it extremely wide or give it horrible areodynamics, or both).

Basically, this isn't happening unless A. You are wearing an opened parachute, B. the bike has a 20T sprocket in the back with the stock 13T in the front, or C. You eat a lot of twinkies (a.k.a. you weigh at least 1000 lbs.).

and it still has enough power .

exactly if it doesnt have enough power to pull the weight it will go slower. Think of it like this. You can the 100m dash in 12 seconds. Add a 30 pound bag and i bet you wont get in that same time frame.that why all factory riders are either on the short side or on the skinny side or both.

exactly if it doesnt have enough power to pull the weight it will go slower. Think of it like this. You can the 100m dash in 12 seconds. Add a 30 pound bag and i bet you wont get in that same time frame.that why all factory riders are either on the short side or on the skinny side or both.

What he's saying is that as long as the bike can make it to its peak RPM, regardless of the weight that is on it, they will all top out at the same speed.

The only difference there will be is that the heavier the rider the longer it will take to reach that speed, but nevertheless that speed will be reached if your bike has the power to pull it.

:confused: Of course it has to do with rider weight. with a lighter rider you can go faster because it will be easier to pull.

In the case of our trail bikes, you'll simply crash into the rev limiter if aerodynamics are ever good enough to allow the horsepower to dictate.

On a CRF230F, this occurs around the low sixties (MPH). Since a CRF150F uses the exact same ignition box (where the rev limit is stored), and it's geared lower, there's *no way* one will exceed this speed.

FWIW, many vehicles at Bonneville, weight is *added* to stabilize them. Since weight only affects acceleration and since the track at Bonneville allows about five miles for acceration, it's all HP vs aerodynamics that dictate the top speeds. Weight isn't a factor at all.

so what ur saying is the co-ratio of speed and wieght is neglegant to its counter of aerodynamics determining max V influenced only by G force pull centerfuged around the internal combustion engine? lololol. thats about as much BULL SHIT that ive ever written. i must say. u guys really really care about the top speed of the 150 and 230

so what ur saying is the co-ratio of speed and wieght is neglegant to its counter of aerodynamics determining max V influenced only by G force pull centerfuged around the internal combustion engine? lololol. thats about as much BULL SHIT that ive ever written. i must say. u guys really really care about the top speed of the 150 and 230

Huh. can you speak english?Lol. Most of us dont care about top speed. I just like cruising in 3rd or 4th on trails and pinning it on the track.

Who created this thread anyway? I knew it was going to be chaos.

he created it in hoping that people would listen to him and stop saying their 150 goes 75....

he created it in hoping that people would listen to him and stop saying their 150 goes 75....

:prof: Ok thats a good reason.

lucky. I gotta wait a couple years until I get my 250.

id get a 125 but im too short :bonk:

back on topic:

top speed of the 150 is 55-57 :prof:

id get a 125 but im too short :bonk:

back on topic:

top speed of the 150 is 55-57 :prof:

how tall are you? yah like he said it will go like 55-57 tops no way it goes 75 or like someone said long time ago 150mph:banghead: .

how tall are you? yah like he said it will go like 55-57 tops no way it goes 75 or like someone said long time ago 150mph:banghead: .

5'3 with short legs, hopefully i hit my spirt soon enough

and the 230 goes 65 +/-

5'3 with short legs, hopefully i hit my spirt soon enough

and the 230 goes 65 +/-

oh I thought you were at least my height. I am 5'7 with long legs.

You're all wrong; I had mine up to 80 mph in 4th gear (just kidding). Yeah, I think we all agree that it's 55-57 mph, I'm just trying to get it into people's heads that weight doesn't affect the top speed until you add so much weight that can no longer reach peak RPM in 5th gear. Just trying to clear that up for any confused people who think that adding 50 pounds to a bike slows it down by 5 mph.