The top speed of the CRF150/230F

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't get the whole 'speed fetish' of preteens and their damn dirt bikes. 'Hey I hear a cr500 can hit 150 yo'. LOL. Most of the idiots who talk about this BS are probably just poser kids who bang gears down neighborhood roads on their POS xr100s and old 125s that haven't seen top ends since the Clinton administration. They think they're all so cool with their spray painted handlebars, bicycle front brake levers, and helmets from the 90s. Chance is that most of these kids have never seen any real trails, and back off over some simple roots. Top speed is irrelevant. Nobody is bouncing the rev limiter in 5th on singletrack. Heck, I rarely get out of 3rd on my motocross track!

I don't get the whole 'speed fetish' of preteens and their damn dirt bikes. 'Hey I hear a cr500 can hit 150 yo'. LOL. Most of the idiots who talk about this BS are probably just poser kids who bang gears down neighborhood roads on their POS xr100s and old 125s that haven't seen top ends since the Clinton administration. They think they're all so cool with their spray painted handlebars, bicycle front brake levers, and helmets from the 90s. Chance is that most of these kids have never seen any real trails, and back off over some simple roots. Top speed is irrelevant. Nobody is bouncing the rev limiter in 5th on singletrack. Heck, I rarely get out of 3rd on my motocross track!

Our top speed in the woods is always between 42 and 46 MPH.  We actually dropped one tooth on the front sprocket.  I don't think we've ever even used sixth gear.  No idea what the top speed is of our two CRF230s.  Do not care either...

Our top speed in the woods is always between 42 and 46 MPH. We actually dropped one tooth on the front sprocket. I don't think we've ever even used sixth gear. No idea what the top speed is of our two CRF230s. Do not care either...

Wow. You can hit that speed in your trails. I don't think I've ever ridden past 30, except if I'm on an old fire road or skid trail. Most of the stuff I ride on that bike never requires me to get out of 2nd gear. The motor is such a tractor off the bottom I could probably lug 3rd all day, but what fun is that?

Wow. You can hit that speed in your trails. I don't think I've ever ridden past 30, except if I'm on an old fire road or skid trail. Most of the stuff I ride on that bike never requires me to get out of 2nd gear. The motor is such a tractor off the bottom I could probably lug 3rd all day, but what fun is that?

I guess I should have mentioned that is in a place where there are 110 miles of trails on 2,700 acres of land.  There are obviously a few fast sections in there.  When I dare look down I'd say the speed I usually see is between 25 MPH and 30 MPH.  Most of the time it is a second-gear or third-gear affair with a few first-gear crawls.  The new ProCom CDI gets me a bite out of fourth once in a while now.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I should have mentioned that is in a place where there are 110 miles of trails on 2,700 acres of land.  There are obviously a few fast sections in there.  When I dare look down I'd say the speed I usually see is between 25 MPH and 30 MPH.  Most of the time it is a second-gear or third-gear affair with a few first-gear crawls.  The new ProCom CDI gets me a bite out of fourth once in a while now.

wow do i actually ride that fast? all the bush trails that im on i never go below 3rd gear. to the same token i get thrown into the cabbage fairly often ? for me its just boring to go that slow. i dont know why i dont get into racing lol i guess its just too serious for me 

• 2 weeks later...

I just had to replace 3rd gear counter and main shaft for the first time in 14 years. So I'm guessing that I'm in third gear most of the time.

And that's 5 years stock (before I traded for the bike) 5 years as a BBR 170 after I got it, and 4 years with Coe's 250cc kit and 15-45 gearing with an 18" rear wheel.

I don't have a speedo meter on it (Or a GPS) so how fast is that at an average of 7,000 rpm?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I have no idea what the actual top speed of my 230F is, but I say its adequate. I've ridden it close to WFO when doing highway transits between trailheads, but rarely get into top gear even on fireroads.

I can guess that my KTM 250XCF is geared differently, as I run out of top speed on the same transits that the 230F feels comfortable on. No speedo on either bike, but the Honda feels less stressed.

• 8 months later...