Sign in to follow this  

Dont understand the point of supermoto

Don't get me wrong here, iv seen some slick looking supermoto bikes, but some are just straight up ridiculous looking, like why would u put a windshield on a dirt bike, or replace your perfectly fine looking gas tank with one that is 1/3 the size of your bike, its just wrong. And can someone explain to me the point of turning your dirt bike into pretty much a straight street bike, if you wanted that why didn't you just buy a crouch rocket in the first place, i mean honestly, their similar in a lot of ways. i mean no offence by this but iv seen some goofy lookin shit

Don't get me wrong here, iv seen some slick looking supermoto bikes, but some are just straight up ridiculous looking, like why would u put a windshield on a dirt bike, or replace your perfectly fine looking gas tank with one that is 1/3 the size of your bike, its just wrong. And can someone explain to me the point of turning your dirt bike into pretty much a straight street bike, if you wanted that why didn't you just buy a crouch rocket in the first place, i mean honestly, their similar in a lot of ways. i mean no offence by this but iv seen some goofy lookin shit

Ride one,, then come back slightly more informed and we will explain to you why the bike you just rode works so well.

Your already set against it.. No need to waste band width trying to change your mind. Go ride one,, You'll be back asking how to buy or build one. :D

I built my tengai a long time ago for road only. I did it because it is a lot more fun to ride a bike at 90% of it's capability and still be in control. With any true sportbike out there, on public roads, you get to ride it at what???50% of it's capability and still be way in over my head considering the inconsistencies of roads and traffic.

But then again my tengai is not a super moto, I built it long before I ever even heard the term (15 years ago), so I will let those guys answer for you.

I didn't understand it until I saw a SuperMoto race on OLN a couple weeks ago. They raced around this curvy track, and on the track were a couple of jumps. It looked fun. I saw a pretty good wreck. A pair of bikes were in the lead. One bike tailgating the other tapped the front bike in mid air on one of the jumps. The front bike came down sideways, rider thrown off. The tailgater actually came off his bike in the air and landed near his bike on the pavement. Looked like a bad fall. The race was interesting to watch.

some need to setup like a sport bike

some ride like a harley, so need the windshield :D :D :D

ya also can set it up like a moped :eek: :eek: :eek:

What Bronco and 10guy said :D You seem to be an open-minded sort :eek::D ...kinda like me. :D I once thought the same thing...until I rode a couple of different SM models...now I'm savin' to put one in the garage along with my old modded, dirt S model. Go ride one, get a little education here and get back to us. Dirt and SM are both fun :eek:

You just have to ride one. I was sort of against the idea once.... then it grew on me. Now I have one bad ass SM that gets more attention than probably any bike on the road. Once you ride it you see just how fun they are....

Every sport bike guy gives me a thumbs as they go by.... ever dirtbiker gives me a thumbs as I go by. You literally have the most unique machine on the road.

There is no way to explain it to someone who asks that type of question...

dirt ride on

:D

It's a love to ride all conditions not be just limited to one stereo type. A bike that kills at street/dirt just about whatever, what's not to get :D

It's a love to ride all conditions not be just limited to one stereo type. A bike that kills at street/dirt just about whatever, what's not to get :D

thats a way better quote than mine

:D

I think that most of the comments are correct. Go ride one. Then you may see. I picked up a SM a few months ago because it was a great fit for my wife. A little lower and a better fit for her. Problem is that I can't get off of the bike. I ride it to work and around town with a huge smile on my face. Its easier to ride than just about any street bike I have ever had. I get back on my VFR and it feels like a tank. The best way to describe the turning performance of a SM is "cheating" it absorbs bumps better that any sportbike and doesn't get upset with poor technique. I would think that SM's are going to get very popular with beginning riders looking for a easy to handle bike.

Dont understand the point of supermoto

There's really only one point to supermoto bikes: FUN!!!

It's so much fun you might just shit your pants :D

It's not for everyone...Me neither...But live and let live.

The more people who own DRZs and are in TT the better...

Pick the threads you're interested in and don't read

the others... :D

Stop ranting like a girl, and you just might learn something. A typical sport bike has about 120 horsepower. A typical supermoto has about 60. A typical sport bike can almost 200 miles per hour. A typical supermoto can do about 100 to 120. Now I can list many more dissimilarities but I'm sure actual logic means nothing to you. Now, before jumping into the deep end without knowing how to swim, take the time to educate yourself, and you'll find that because two machines can be ridden on the street doesn't mean they are at all similar.

PS. I don't about in Iowa (low blow), but the contraction of "I have" in CA is spelt "I've". IV is what you use to do Heroine.

I just plain flat out laughed at them when they first started showing back up on Americas shore. You see we invented the type of racing for ABC tv it was called Superbikers and they broght in the hotshoes from all the different sports. But really only motocrossers and flattrackers won any of them. It lasted a couple of seasons here but it cought fire in a huge way overseas. Well it's back and like our European brothers we can't get enough of it. I had to have one and was set to scrap my 01 E when burned decided to sell his personal racer. He came in 5 th that year for the circuit around Colo. That's not what burned is about. The man is a winner, he built a monster bike for the streets though and didn't tame it down none for me. Just got it so I could plate it. It now get rode and the poor E wearsa battery tender and wishes it had smaller wheels. pdawg :D:D:eek::eek::D

Becuse,

Nothing like beating up on sportbikes on some real bumpy technical roads. Yes, sportbikes will blow right back by on a straight, but its nice too be able to go right back by when it counts. Or turning inside of your buddy's changing roads and Backing it into a corner just to wheelie off the apex.

It keeps them modest and shows the who the boss is!

On the otherside of the coin, its also alot of fun to race on pavement and dirt on the same day at the same track...!

Jim :D

Let's not forget that you can easily switch back and forth between dirt and supermoto setups. I just switched back to SM last night - piece of cake.

And, like I always say, it amounts to having two completely different bikes with only one insurance policy :D

I own a GSXR1000. I can ride it at near 90% (On the track) Even a 50cc Derbi Mini Motard made me grin like a fool. Riding a Friends converted DRZS in Moto trim had me laughing in my helmet. You can ride to the dirt. Go Ride In the Dirt and then go play in bumpy rough rutted twisty roads that would make a sportbike have fits. I will have my DRZ400SM by the end of next week if all goes right and I am willing to bet my GSXR1K gets dusty after that. 155 horses versus 40 horses and a HUGE grin Factor.

I own a GSXR1000. I can ride it at near 90% (On the track) Even a 50cc Derbi Mini Motard made me grin like a fool. Riding a Friends converted DRZS in Moto trim had me laughing in my helmet. You can ride to the dirt. Go Ride In the Dirt and then go play in bumpy rough rutted twisty roads that would make a sportbike have fits. I will have my DRZ400SM by the end of next week if all goes right and I am willing to bet my GSXR1K gets dusty after that. 155 horses versus 40 horses and a HUGE grin Factor.

My VFR800 pretty much became a 'dust display station' after I bought the supermoto wheels for my DRZ....poor thing :D