Any 500cc "Real-Men" up in here?

IMO, the 500's are a weapon there's no dought about it(i ride my mates 99 cr 500)

but for the normal trail rider their just to much to hang onto, but on straights and anything open, it's a real rush to open em up, i just find u work to hard to ride these things, im consistantly quiker than my mate on my 525 and working half as hard as he is! he doesn't have a flywheel weight, in his defence they are a bit easier to manage with one.

as for hills rocky/windey.... well give me a 525 anyday!

it's a strugle on a 500

the big 500's do have a place i just think i's either in the desert or supermoto

im sure some will dissagree!

-------------------------------------------

05 ktm 525 (gone)...... 06 ktm 525 exc.......... 83 z-50

95 tricked xr 600 (going)........ 99 gsxr 600

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got an '85 CR500. (which I bought new) Most magazines have stated that it had the most power of all the Honda 500s. There is no spike in the power band on this early model. It pulls very hard from idle up to its peak. The later ones with the lower compression engines, have a hard to control spike a few thousand rpm above idle. For a comparison on the power to a more modern bike, I dragged raced a guy on a new '02 YZ426 that he had just bought as a left over. We raced from a dead stop up to about 60 mph. I used just one gear, fourth. I was ahead of him from the start till I let off. And that was with the stock gearing on it. You had to be in very good shape to race it competively. I hillclimbed, raced motocross and a hare scrambles series with very good results the first few years I had it.(till I tore up a knee) In a lot of races I wouldn't be the fastest rider on the track in the over 30 class, but I could hang with the leaders most of the time and then pass them on the last lap due to me being in better shape and having a bike that could get around them when they got tired. But I don't ride it that much anymore due to being out of shape. My DRZ400 is much easier on my old body.

Get the 500, and sell your XR, then use the extra money to revalve the suspension and have it ported.

:D

The XR stays no matter what. Its going to be my DS ride at least. I dont really want to ride a 500 in tight stuff. I've tried it and didnt enjoy it really. It was a blast in open terrain though.

One of the big bikes I owned was an old CR 480, the last of the air cooled big bore two strokes. That thing would rattle your brains. The power was like a switch, on or off, no in between. Wing-ga-ding-ga-ding-ga-ding.

Now I have an 01' KTM 520sx with the 540 stroker kit and a six speed. It pulls my 6'4, 270 lb butt around the desert just fine. Was out in the desert with an 85 CR 500 and a 95 KX 500 and two very capable riders trying to climb a couple crazy hills that are near unclimbable when they are dry. The two strokes whooped up on me big time. The kx is stroked and really get's it.

Had a '00 cr500 for a day in the spring. The only thought going through my head most of time is that this thing handles like shit. After I thought about for a while I figured out that it was probably because it goes 50 mph in 3rd. They unreal bottom.

Gotta love 'em

Had a 01' 520 for 4 yrs, currently riding 01' a 426, restoring a 82' 465

now if ya really have a pair, you'd be riding a ATK 700

I think there are only about 3-4 ATK 700's that have been made. They are just too much bike for most people.

Most of the stuff I've read is that a 540sx will beat the pants off any 500 2st. As mentioned above they also handle like crap except in a straight line. Now put the six speed in and say bye bye.

I bet the 500 two stroke will still beat the KTM.