Sign in to follow this  

valve inspection

when should i inspect my valve train? how many hours should you run this bike before you do this? :D

I think the manual says 10 hrs. I check every 10 hours but I've only had to do the LH inlet twice- done approx 45 hrs from memory? I dont rev the bike out, and have found the quickest way is to short shift and use the torque. If you ride on the rev limited like the experts I'd be checking much sooner than 10 hrs!

P.S touch wood I've never had any of the problems that are associated with the 04's.

10-12 hrs. i had to re shim the LH intake at 12 hrs and no everything has stayed in spec since then, now 25 hrs on the bike.

Had to shim right when I got it, then a couple monthes later and then constantly over two weeks. Now it has nice new intake valves and runs awesome, easier to do then everyone makes it sound.

how did you go about replacing the valves? did you use oem valves?

and did you have to recut the seats to suit?

I just stuck the new OEM ones in, everything looked good but the valves. I made my own little thing out of a peice of PVC to press the valves and used a quick clamp, took maube 10 mins to get the two valves in with my friends help. Putting it back together is the time consuming part.

Yes the springs also, forgot about them. Everything else was good, I just replaced the springs while I was in there, only $8 for stock ones.

motox178, what did it cost you to put in the two new intakes (oem) and springs? and are intake valves and exhaust valves the same prices?

thanks

Exhaust valves are smaller and actually cost more I believe. I spent $110 for the valves and like $30 for the base gasket and springs I believe. My exhaust valves where fine so I didn't bother with them. I think kawasaki has the prices for OEM parts on their site.